Multimeter reading help please.

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all, <br />Bit of a newbie when it comes to using a multimeter so I'm asking you good folks for some help.<br /> I have a digital multi meter that has on it's Ohm Switch selection the following:-<br />20M 2000K 200K 20K 2000>+ 200 Buzz<br /><br />in the Seloc repair manual for Mercury it says to check Stator resistance and gives R x 1000 5.7-8.0 <br />and R x 1 56-76<br /><br />Could someone please help me relate that to my multi meter. What setting do I place it on and do I then have to multipy the reading or divide it or the like?

amirm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Multimeter reading help please.

I can't be quite sure from your description as it does not seem to be a standardized notation that I am familiar with. <br /><br />If I were to guess I would say that"X1000" means Kilo Ohms. In this case, yu need to check two different resistance values of 5.7 K to 8.0 K Ohms and 56 to 76 ohms. For the first, set your meter to 20K range and see if it says 5.7 to 8 and for the latter, set it to 200 (Buzz) and see if you see 56 to 76.<br /><br />Measure it and let us know what it says and we could take it from there.<br /><br />Amir

amirm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just to add a bit of education to above, you have a cheap meter ( :) ) which does not have auto ranging. So the settings would tell the meter the maximum resistance you want to measure. So to read 50K Ohms, you would need to use the 200K scale. If you use a higher range, you get less accuracy or it if is too high, just zero. If set to low, the meter may show an error.<br /><br />Amir

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bought a Radio Shack one from Tandy a few years ago.<br />I was testing the Stator and was getting funny readings.

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bought a Radio Shack one from Tandy a few years ago.<br />I was testing the Stator and was getting funny readings.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Rover, follow amirs' suggestions. If you have the scale set wrong, it will give 'weird' readings.<br /><br />Or spend a bit more and get an autoranging meter - about $30.00.<br /><br />Aldo

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dunaruna, this thing cost me about $70AUD years ago.

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I have a part answer to the funny readings on my multimeter when trying to test my stator.<br /> It seems I have a CDI rapair stator , and not an OEM stator.<br /> The CDI Rapair stators have different resistance readings.<br /><br />This is from the CDI web site.<br /><br />"Why does the resistance specs of a CDI Electronics Mercury Marine stator measure differently than an OEM stator?<br />CDI has developed a line of stators that are very reliable on the Mercury Marine outboard engines. We use a heavier gauge magnet wire on the capacitor charge coil, which allows more current to flow. More current flowing equals less heat in the windings. This heavier magnet wire also creates less resistance in the windings.<br /><br />These stators also have voltage protection on the low speed coil to protect from over-voltage issues<br /><br />174-5454K1<br />OEM stator low speed =5000-6000 ohms CDI stator low speed = 2200-2400 ohms<br />OEM stator high speed coil = 70-140 ohms CDI stator high speed = 40-60 ohms"

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

What reading are you getting on the 2K ohm range on the primary? Test it with leads going both ways. I mean by reversing the leads on the meter do you get different results or dont you get a reading at all? Overvoltage protection is usually a diode which if hooked up a certian way will only give you a reading one way and only if you have the meter in the diode testing mode if your meter has this feature.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Multimeters have come down in price considerably over the years. Sound slike you did your homework and have accurate specs. To find th erange you need, you must set your meter to the next HIGHEST range for the measurement desired. Example you are measuring 2200-2400ohms, so on you rmeter the next HIGHEST range is 20K ohms, since 2000 ohms is less thatn the measurement you are expecting.<br /><br />Radio shack has pocket auto-ranging multimeters on sale for $19.99US every so often. Or you can try an auto-parts store. Even Sears (do you have them in Australia?) sells meters in their tool areas. Good luck.

amirm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Talking about meters, if you are going to buy one, try to get one that is autoranging as mentioned, but also one that can measure decent amount of current (10+ Amps). It is more expensive to make a high current meter so many vendors leave this out of their lower end units (milliamp measurement while useful in general electronics, is of little value on a boat). Current measurements is very handy as you can accurately measure the power consumption of various units, or whether something is on or not, etc.<br /><br />Amir

Rovernaut

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry fellas to be a PITA, but electronics are not my forte.<br />The readings I got using the 20K setting were:<br />The Red and Redwhite wires .04 ( COULD THIS BE THE 40, but the 0s are not correct) <br />The Blue and blue/white wires were 1.90.( and COULD THIS BE REALLY 1900)<br />The Black multimeter pin was connected to the Com on the multimeter and the Red To V/Ohms.(250AC 1000VDC)<br />I also have a 10A and a mA (max2000mA) and a signal function<br />Reversing the test leads made no difference to the reading.<br /> I did get 2 full stops on my LCD screen.<br />Maybe I will try another multimeter and see if mine is not faulty.<br />The outboard runns ok, but as <br />I bought it second hand I want to test everything before I hit the water.<br /> The trigger needed replacement as the wires had bee rubbed through. I just want to check the stator

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

1.9 K ohm on the second reading or 1900 ohms. The first reading could be 4 ohms or 40 ohms. Go to the 2K range and retest. It should give you a better reading. The primary will give you the best reading on 200 ohm range.

amirm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You do have the meter hooked up right. The volt and ohm settings are shared on the meter. And swapping lead never makes a difference on resistance measurements.<br /><br />BTW, my read is that you have 1.9K and 40 ohms. The lower 200 ohm reading on the meter would show if the zero in 40 is accurate or not. But either way, this number seems within spec. 1.9K seems a bit lower than 2.2K minimum spec but I would think that this difference is not signficant.<br /><br />Amir