Muff's on 85 Evinrude ???

tdimichele

Cadet
I just got aboat and am an outboard newbie.<br /><br />What is with Muff's? Where to I get them? Where do I hook them up to the outboard? Currently, my motor has no spark, can I troubleshoot the problem and crank it without muffs?

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Muff's on 85 Evinrude ???

it is not recommened.... no water on the lower unit can cause water pump failure. Muffs go around the bottom of the lower unit over the water inlet spots. They cover these holes and allow water from the garden hose to enter the engine. I got mine from Wal-mart (motor flusher) for like $4. There in the boating section in sporting goods. It's a must if you are going to work on your motor in the drive.<br /><br />What tests have you done about the spark???

tdimichele

Cadet

I'll stop at Walmart tonight.<br /><br />As far as testing, I haven't done much. I got the boat from my wife's uncle and it is in pour condition to say the least. He said it ran, then sat in his driveway, then he tried running it and no spark.<br /><br />Visual inspection of wiring running through the boat showed alot of un-insulated connection and unterminated leads. I have a manual and wiring diagrams. I've stripped off the mysterious connections, and insulated anything that was necessary. My thought is to get it running with bare bones wiring harnesses (like they should be). After I stripped everything down, I hooked jumper cables to my truck to turn it over. I didn't have enough power, so I could only get a crank and a half. I have the battery charging and will be playing tonight.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Stu - Could you tell us a bit more about the engine - like hp and model number.<br /><br />Before you do a bunch of work and replace a lot of parts you need to start with a compression check. Pull the plugs, squirt some oil in each cylinder and turn it over by hand a bunch of times to get the oil to the rings. Then do the compression check & post the results back here.