MTBE to be deep 6'd?!?!

KRS

Banned
Heard on the radio today that the gasoline additive MTBE is scheduled to become extinct!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: MTBE to be deep 6'd?!?!

That has been the rumor for some time..... a lot of deaths related to it. <br /><br />I guess I will have to stock up!<br /><br />Bob

QC

Supreme Mariner

Part of the Energy Bill signed by the prez yesterday. I think it is to be phased out by 2014.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

We already banned it in NH. It did a great job poisoning the wells. Good example of environmentalists not thinking things through before implementing laws.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, already 86'd in CA too. I supported the MTBE bailout stuff. The poor fuel suppliers (I'm serious, definite victims in this deal) were required by law to include it and now they are supposed to pay to clean it up and cover the lawsuits. Jeeez . . .

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Good point QC. The gas co.'s seem to be getting a bad rap on that one.

D

DJ

California, The "King of Clean Air" loves it.<br /><br />It's polilitical. Don't expect any action soon.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by txswinner:<br /> What does MTBE do for gasoline?
MTBE is used in gasoline throughout the United States to reduce carbon monoxide and ozone levels caused by auto emissions. MTBE replaces the use of lead as an octane enhancer since 1979.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Originally posted by alden:<br /> We already banned it in NH. It did a great job poisoning the wells. Good example of environmentalists not thinking things through before implementing laws.
Environmentalists don't write and implement the laws, the politicians that we vote for do. <br /><br />The environmentalists are not the ones who did the R&D into MTBE prior to the requesting that MTBE be blended with Gasoline.<br /><br />environmentalists have 20/20 hindsight vision.

TilliamWe

Banned

methyl tertiary butal ethanol<br /><br />Or something vaguely like that. We used to have a 5 gallon jug of it in our basement. My dad hauled oil for Quaker State and hauled that stuff on occasion.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Vlad, your intent of your post is not clear to me. <br /><br />I do note that in my opinion the tree huggers are a very powerful lobby that does influence the pols via $$$$$ contributions, as and lobby, special interest group does. As well as business/producer lobbies that push bills to require MBTE, or corn ethanol for the matter. <br /><br />Thus, we the consumer get this crap forced upon us satisfying the special interests wishes.<br /><br />For example, should I have enough bucks to buy enough influence with all the desired pols in the US as well as other groups that have their ear, I am sure I could have this country fueling their energy and transportation needs with wood. Sad but true. <br /><br />A rather large portion of beneficial technologies never a marketable due to the lobbyists employed by those who are currently supplying goods, products, etc. wishing to maintain their current market share and status quo.

KRS

Banned

I read that MTBE will cause increased water absorption into fuels too.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Methyl tert butyl ether.<br /><br />NOBODY could have known what the long term widespread exposure effects would have been.<br /><br />Ken

TilliamWe

Banned

Ken I actually realized it was ether about 2 hours after I posted it.<br />The name just sounds bad, doesn't it? Kinda like whatever "Nutrasweet" is Phenylukontronics or something!?