MSG4BOB Mariner 4 Build Thread

msg4bob

Cadet
Hello. There isn’t much of an online community (busy fishing!) on the Intext Mariner 4 SIB but this seems like the best place. Hoping to use this thread to document my Mariner 4 build with ideas and questions. I consider myself a shadetree mechanic and enjoy tearing into anything mechanical, but I am 100% newbie when it comes to boating so there’s a lot to learn. I hope some firsthand users can chime in with your experience or feel free to leave any thoughts. And, yes, SIB is the right option for me, for now.

@Mods, if possible, please don’t lock this as I plan to update it when I perform maintenance for as long as I own it.

High level of things I need to get sorted out.
-Paper work (PA)
-Flooring
-Motor mount (long shaft motor)
-Transom dolly wheels
-Bimini

What I have so far.
Purchased a used Mariner 4 (all gray model), which I prefer b/c newer white+blue ones seem to get filthy easily. It came with the 2 life vests, Intex motor mount, Minna Kota C2 40lbs trolling motor, and MightMax 35amp battery – all used once.

Sold the trolling motor, mount, battery and purchased a ‘well used’ Hangkai 6hp long-shaft outboard. ‘Was told’ the outboard was used by a marine service engineer at a local port authority and has very good maintenance/running condition, starts in ~2 pulls. Haven’t started it yet – we’ll see. This motor was previously used on a 19’ sailboat and came with a heavy duty: adjustable transom mount, propeller guard, and 4 blade propeller.

Spent past weekend building a simple outboard stand. Had a Homer moment and forgot to add casters -doh! Will be replacing the gear oil with 80-90 or full 90. I’m new to these tiny carbureted 2 stroke engines but I prob need to post questions in the engine sub-form. Can’t wait to get into the water!

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
@Mods, if possible, please don’t lock this as I plan to update it when I perform maintenance for as long as I own it.
The only time a Mod locks a thread is if it's older then 90 days and someone other than the originator post to it. If it does get lock, just select the "report" button and all mods will see it

Look forward to your thread

msg4bob

Cadet
Start with some baselines. Measurements are in inches (standard). I couldn't find a nice low side-view of the older model Mariner 4, and yes image is flipped to match direction. There's too much flex and I did not have inflate it 100% so use with caution. I did NOT inflate the keel, which would add some height (1-2"?) when considering transom mount placement if you choose to go with long or short shaft outboard.

Attachments

• Mariner 4 Dimensions_topview.jpg
    Mariner 4 Dimensions_topview.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Mariner 4 Dimensions_sideview.jpg
    Mariner 4 Dimensions_sideview.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 2

jbcurt00

Staff member
Look around lots of helpful info can be found.

Example:

msg4bob

Cadet
Made free-to-me transom mount using scrape wood and scrap office chair wheel. Nice I can use the motor's grab handles, tilt it, and roll with it.

Separate post for Q/A on motor maintenance.

Attachments

• Hangkai Motor on Stand.jpg
    Hangkai Motor on Stand.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 6

msg4bob

Cadet
Overpowering your Mariner isn't advisable
Noted.

Look around lots of helpful info can be found.

Example:
Very familiar with that thread. Too many pages to sort through and I have not seem the info I wanted. I did take a lot of good info out of it (you may notice I have posted in there as well).

Last edited:

msg4bob

Cadet
Motor Mount.

Credit to this person.
https://www.youtube.com/@adrianodomingos8185

Seems he evolved his setup. I think the additional space between the motor and back of the boat in his original design was not optimal b/c it creates too much leverage (similar design to the Intext motor kit). I envision Archimedes principles on leverage applying here where less is more, made worst against a soft surface. He also did not use the boat's top (or rear) mounts, I think b/c the angle tracks it along the tube, which is still soft. Yes, that is a 15hp Mariner, I'm not sure I recommend that. It looks like the things shifted a little.

My initial thoughts on a DIY mount. Goal is to keep the motor as close to the boat as possible. Interesting to note the height of the rear of the boat (keel uninflated) is ~17". The Hangkai is ~18.x" from top of mount to anti cavitation plate.

Attachments

• Outboard Mount.jpg
    Outboard Mount.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Mariner 4 Transome Mount.jpg
    Mariner 4 Transome Mount.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: