mr hadley idle ??????

robert.barnes

Seaman
is a 120 looper supossed to idle smooth or does it kind of chug like a trane i changed the jets from 42 to 43 and it did help every thing is spot on idle is good 700 rpm and it picks up to wide open fine but the idle adjustment still does not want to work that well. i thoght it might clean up the idle but it did not. i can stall it out but it will only increase the idle maybe 200 rpm before the screw tries to fall out. i raised the motor up so the exaust holes r no longer under water this maybe common for this motor i have only had crossflows so i was not sure

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: mr hadley idle ??????

We should try to keep things in one thread but quick question -- when you say the idle adjustment is responding, how are you adjusting that?

robert.barnes

Seaman

yes sir i will try to stay in this thread i just did not want u to have to search threw them to find mine. i wanted to try making easy on u for all the help u have gave me. but like u said u talk to so many people it prob makes it harder

ok above the carbs and belowe the flywheel is a spring operated tensioner that is suposed to control the idle by moving the timing. screw it in and idle rpms slow down screw it out and idle rpms speed up. this tenisioner is operating corectly because u can see it move the timming base or what ever its called.it just seems to me with the old carbs on the boat it had a lot more adjustment its prob ok i just want this motor to be right it idles at the right rpm now it just idles like a trane chug chug chug this may be commmon for the looper i did not know the crossflow seemed to idle smoother

robert.barnes

Seaman

one more thing this thing idles smooth when it is not in gear it only chugs when its in gear as soon as u give it the least amount of throtle it picks right up