MPG

marineseas

Cadet
I have a 1995 Evinrude 175 Ocean Pro. <br />My gas gauge always says full. How many miles per gallon worse case do you think I will get. 75 Gallon Gas Tank and usually pretty full load on a 1995 21 Ft. Hydra-Skiff Flats boat with a tower.<br />Also the screws that fasten my sending unit into my gas tank look more like rivets than screws so I cannot unscrew the sending unit. Is this normal? Do I need to drill out the rivets the first time to replace the sending unit.

angus63

Captain
Re: MPG

I have same motor on 21' Trophy. At 3800 rpm (25-30 mph depending on load and conditions) I burn appx. 7-8 gallons per hour. Wide open appx. 15-16 gallons per hour (5300 rpm). You can use a remote 6 gallon tank and run for 15 minutes at cruise to calculate your usage. On average you can expect about 3-4 mpg while cruising at 3/4 throttle. As for the sending unit, every flange I've seen has screws (mine are #8-32 x 1/2" phillips head). Try contacting manufacturer for details, or go ahead and drill out and retap. Tank should be empty and vapor free, and also be sure to capture all the chips you generate.<br />Good Luck<br />PS Welcome to the forum and please post your results.<br />pps One more thought - Verify your fuel gauge is working before going thru this effort.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

A fuel flow meter might be a reasonable alternative to spending time and money fixing or replacing your existing fuel gauge(s). I did a review recently on my Standard Horizon digital FF meter and the summary is "I like it and it's very handy." You can accurately measure your fuel usage at any speed or RPM, and with this unit, measure total used and fuel remaining. I found mine, with a rebate, for about $125 or $150 a while back. "Normal" price is probably around $175. The Navman unit is virtually identical (probably made in the same factory), and I'd get whichever one is cheaper. The pickup/sender is an easy DIY installation as well, and the gauge might simply fit into your existing fuel gauge hole.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

oops, PS: One of the reasons I mentioned this is that in my somewhat limited experience, boat fuel gauges are pretty inaccurate and the fuel flow meter can be a way to accomplish the same thing, with more accuracy and some other features as well.