Moving

ae708

Chief Petty Officer
We are moving from Sumter to Charleston just as soon as we can sell our home here in Sumter. We are looking now for an affordable (no such thing in Charleston now) house or land to build one. After checking prices on homes we have decided that a modular home is where we'd get the most for the least in a home that will build equity. We have a very nice doublewide MH now that has brick foundation,etc. and is in immaculate condition but it depreciates rather than appreciates. Does anyone have experience with modulars... good or bad to share with me?

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Moving

Art,<br /><br />We're about 2-3 weeks away from moving into our new modular. It's an Oakwood "Serenity" that has all the stuff the admiral wants and plenty of space. Too bad Oakwood doesn’t have their web site up yet – it’s been down for a year.<br /><br />I'm very impressed with the construction - it's solid as a rock. Exterior walls are 2x6 sheathed in ¾” OSB. The various sections – end gables, roof rafters, sole plates, etc, were all bolted into place during setup. Interior corners are square – something I’ve never seen in a house. Insulation exceeds local code (Spotsylvania County, VA). Factory craftsmanship seems high.<br /><br />The HVAC was installed on site and was very professionally done. About the only thing I don’t like is some of the plumbing – I’d rather have ceramic than composite sinks and tub but I’ll get over it. <br /><br />Our Oakwood dealer in Ashland, VA, was most cooperative and made the process relatively easy. We did some customization that the factory had no problem with. Delivery and set up was the most fun – we took a couple of days off just to watch those processes. The house is roughly 1900 sq ft heated and cooled with another 800 attic space that can be finished in future (by someone else – not me).<br /><br />Bottom line – the house itself was on the order of $160,000. On top of that are: foundation, well/septic, garage, and any extras. <br /><br />Based on our experience so far, I don’t think you can go wrong with a modular.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Moving

Thank you tcube.. I appreciate the information.