Moving from Oklahoma to Savannah, GA

James Bond

Seaman
....and of course I'm bringing my boat with me! I'm just wondering some of the things I should be concerned about going from inland lakes to brackish/salt water. I will keep my boat on a trailer, I won't be keeping it at a marina in a slip. It's a 21' cuddy with a 5.0L mercruiser I/O. Is there anyone in the Savannah area that I can meet up with once I finish relocating? I know there's a lot of stuff such as navigation, special waterways, tides, boat care, communications....stuff like that that I need to pay attention to. I was comfortable operating my boat day/night on lakes, but this will be a whole new realm!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Moving from Oklahoma to Savannah, GA

Moving to Boats.

James Bond

Seaman

Gee, thanks JB.....I figured this would get lost to the bottom in no time with no responses in this section.<br /><br />Bump up to the TOP!

Captn Dave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey JB,<br /><br />First, it's not a dry heat but a wet heat. :)<br /><br />I don't live near Savannah, a littler further south, in Jacksonville, but the weather and coastal conditions are very similar.<br />It may take awhile to get use to the humidity but I actually prefer it over a dry environment.<br /><br />You'll want to flush your engine and outdrive and wash down the trailer good after each use. <br />The tidal ranges are quite extreme, 3-4 feet. So take notice if you leave on a high tide and come back on a low. <br />Watch out for the oyster beds if you go running up in the marshes or anywhere near shore. The shells will tear up the paint on your outdrive. <br />Be careful if you have to get out and walk too.<br />Don't ask me how I know about both.<br /><br />Good luck in your relocation.

f_inscreenname

Commander

I wont be in your area but good luck. One nice thing about the web is no matter where you at you can still get here by pointing and clicking. To get around JB on the Dock Side Chat board by just calling people out people from GA. Then get into you questions.