moving controls

jdstephwacotx

Seaman
I would like to relocate my throttle control box to a higher location. Currently it is very low and very forward. It is almost impossible to reach when I'm seated on the back of the front seat with my feet in the seat (looking over the winshield instead of through it).<br /><br />Can I simply remount it (without disconnecting anything) higher and further back or are there consequences that I need to be aware of.<br /><br />1960 Larson 16' boat with 1976 Merc 850.<br /><br />Thanks for any help you can provide.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Re: moving controls

JB will soon move this thread to the non-repair section, where you may get more feedback.<br /><br />In the meantime, I would suggest that so long as your cables are long enough to reach your desired location you can mount the controls anywhere you desire. If you have a tethered kill switch, make sure it will still reach the driver.<br /><br />Make sure not to "stretch" the cables so far, that they are susceptible to a pinch point at the rear where they come up into the splashwell area. Make sure to check for free throttle movement (at both left and right turning extremes) before heading out onto the water.<br /><br />Your boat/motor combination sounds great. Have you any pics?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Just so you know, sitting in that position is highly illegal and if you're caught, you Will get ticketed. That's one of law enforcement's favorite excuses to pull alongside and check your equipment and for open intoxicants. You're making yourself easy pickens. You're guaranteed one ticket. If there are equipment violations or open intoxicants, there will be more.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Just so you know, sitting in that position is highly illegal and if you're caught, you Will get ticketed.
Wow...I never knew it was illegal. In smaller boats, the best viewing position is sitting on the back of the seat (back-to-back) so that you increase your visibility from above the windshield. I've sat that way while boating for as long as I can remember.<br /><br />Out of curiosity, why is it illegal? Seems very similar to the drop-out style power seats that allow the operator to stand-up while in motion. Or if bass pros can operate a foot powered steering/throttle while sitting on the bow-swivel seat, all while reeling in the catch of a lifetime..... what's considered unsafe?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

It's illegal because many have tumbled off the seat backwards and either fell into the boat or into the water. Many drownings, injuries, and BOATS WITHOUT DRIVERS! The drop out seats still leave you firmly between the sides and against the back of the seat with you your feet firmly planted on the floor. With fishing boats with a casting deck and a bowmount, you're traveling at a whopping 1/20 mph or so at full tilt. If you were to fall all the way out of the boat, you would still be right next to it. You will find on most if not all boats with casting decks that the manufacturer strongly discourages riding in that seat when the boat is underway (outboard power). If you fall off the seat and into the water of a boat going 35 plus, the boat will be 1/2 mile away before you surface. Remember, you are the pilot. Fall off the seat back and the boat is out of control. All it takes to fall off the back is a big wave, rapid accelaration or deceleration, or too many beers. That's why it's so illegal.

jdstephwacotx

Seaman

Thanks to both of you. I did not realize that this was illegal either. I do it somply because the 44 year old winshield has scratches that create an unusable glare when the sun hits it just right. It would be highly dangerous for me to operate it that way during those times.<br /><br />AMD, I'm going to try to attach a pic. I've never done it here in a post before so if it doesn't come through I'll try again later.<br /><br />I have lots of slack in my cables and moving them back will actually create more.<br /><br />Thanks again.<br /><br />

jdstephwacotx

Seaman

Well, I can't figure it out.<br /><br />If you give me some better instructions I'll try again later.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The picture has to be posted on the internet and have a URL. You can't post pics from your hard drive.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

You pics need to be hosted on a website, and a link to that pic needs to be placed in your post in order to see it here. You can't just run it from your hard drive.