Moving a boat with no trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHDiesel73L

Seaman
I need some ideas here-I have come into possession (well, almost) of an MFG Carefree 14' that has been sitting in a neighbor's yard for nearly 6 years. The trailer has sunken into the ground, the tires are of course shot, and the wheels have about rusted through. I don't think there is any hope of making the trailer functional enough just to get it down the street to my house. It's sitting in a tight spot between a shed and a fence, and even if we were to jack up the trailer and put new wheels and tires on it I'm betting that the hubs/spindles are completely seized up. According to the brochures however, the Carefree only weighs 390 lbs? I'm new to the boating world but for some reason that seems light to me-could that be right? I'm sure it's a bit heavier because I'm fairly certain that the foam/plywood under the deck has soaked up quite a bit of water over the years, but at most maybe 450? There's nothing else in the boat and there's no motor on it. I suppose I could also take the seats out before we move it since they're shot anyway. If that's that case I'm thinking that maybe me, my neighbor, my brother, and and brother-in-law, and one more neighbor might be able to carry it to my house with three guys at the stern and two at the bow. Does that sound like it might work?

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Moving a boat with no trailer?

How far away is this?
close enough to just drag the trailer?

If with a couple of guys and a case a beer you should be able to pick up the whole boat and set it in the back of your pickup. Tie it down real tight.
Now if you dont want to put it in the back of a pickup. a couple of these would work
00185_lg.jpg

heck a rope and a few skateboards would work.

Edit..

Just reminded me.. if this guy can do it on the highway you can do it down the street :D:D:D
295f8_problemjustusealogp1.gif

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

If the trailer wheels are shot anyway, what would be the downside to dragging it a couple blocks or less?

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Measure it up and buy a new axle and tires, possibly springs if they're shot. Then you can jack the trailer up, fill in the holes, lower it down and drive it away without tearing up the neighbors yard. Sounds like you'll have to do it anyway, and the axle and springs would be around $100. Tractor supply has them or try abctrailorparts.com. Changing out the axle is a 20 minute job with a friends help and a couple beers.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Come-a-long it up onto a flat bed trailer putting pieces of large diameter pipe under it for rollers.

oldjeep

Admiral

If the trailer wheels are shot anyway, what would be the downside to dragging it a couple blocks or less?

x2 You're not going out on the highway, hitch it up and drag it slowly.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

a great way to move a boat on a yard is with rollers--4" pipe or fence posts. But since it's on a sunken trailer you are going to need to lift if off anyway, unless the seller doesn't mind your tearing up his yard.

The free boat is starting to cost you. If it's truly waterlogged, do you really want it?

IHDiesel73L

Seaman

Thanks for the suggestions-I have to measure it as I think it might work to back my truck into the yard (I have a fullsize with a longbed) and set the boat in the bed stern first assuming we can lift it high enough. Then I could maybe just have two guys walk with it holding it as I drive it to my house. We only need to go about 100 yards on the road. Dragging wouldn't be an option because it would tear the hell out of his yard, driveway, and probably the street as well.

The free boat is starting to cost you. If it's truly waterlogged, do you really want it?

I was looking for a project and I found one. These little MFGs are simple boats that were well built and I think it will lend itself well to just being a simple cruising/fishing boat for the 9.9 reservoirs near my house. I've read enough here to know what I'm getting myself into. I'm not going after this thing with the idea that I'm just going to hose it out, hang a motor on the back and go.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

use a couple of 2X4s as ramps from the ground to the truck bed. Use a cum-a-long (cable hoist) to drag it up the ramps into the bed.

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jeez Yoda moved an X wing fighter out from the bottom of a swamp and you can't move a small dinghy and trailer 100 yards. Strong with the force, you are not Mmmmmm????

:p

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

whatever you do, get video of it and post it. I bet it will be entertaining at the least :D

wvit1001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why would you want it? It will cost more to fix it up than going out and buying one that actally runs. You can get some real deals now on used boats.

IHDiesel73L

Seaman

Why would you want it? It will cost more to fix it up than going out and buying one that actally runs. You can get some real deals now on used boats.

I'm not looking to save money, just looking to restore/rebuild/repurpose an old glass boat built my me the way I want it.

saumon

Lieutenant

I'd put it in an utility trailer tied with ratchet straps.

Status
Not open for further replies.