Movie Reviews "Lawless Heart" & "Demonlover"

18rabbit

Captain
OK…there is no way I can compete with Pointer’s great movie reviews. But I did see a couple of excellent movies this past week and thought I’d mention them. Neither is the typical Hollywood stuff that is cranked out by the barrel full. I almost never go to the cinema…both movies should be readily available on DVD for rent.<br /><br />“Lawless Heart” – A British movie that is perhaps one of the best, most balanced movies I have ever seen. There is no main character in the movie. The interaction of the lives of all characters is equally represented from different angles in overlapping time sequences. It’s about life in a small English seaside town. The movie starts at a wake and follows one character, then jumps back and follows another; at times going forward with everyone, at times jumping back to catch-up on another character. There’s just a hint of the sequencing that was the object of the Swedish movie, “Winter Sleepers”. Not a chick-flick, wonderful British humor. Fwiw, I think the Brits consistently crank out the best actors and actress on the screen. Not so with their chefs. :) <br /><br />“Demonlover” – probably not what you’re thinking. :) A French movie (subtitles) about corporate espionage and the illegal activities therein. The product they are competing for: Japanese animation, the transition from 2D into 3D graphic animated movies targeting the adult market. Who will control global distribution of animated product in the adult entertainment market? And how will they get that control? About 1/3 of the movie is in english, none of the footage filmed in Japanese is subtitled, but you will not be left wondering what was said. Filmed in France, Japan, and Mexico. The movie is extremely well produced, sliding seamlessly into and out of cinema verte. If you are looking for an erotic movie, pass on this one…that’s not what this movie is about. As a matter of fact, you’re not going to get to see much of the animation, either…just enough to let you know what they’re fighter over. Gina Gershon’s part is too small, but then it’s a French movie.<br /><br />Pointer – I’m waiting for your review of Shrek 2 :)

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: Movie Reviews "Lawless Heart" & "Demonlover"

Good stuff Rabbit,<br /><br />My review of Shrek 2 is forthcoming but I will have to see Shrek 1 first, I would imagine. ;) <br /><br />I can't get to the theater cuz the car, truck and SUV have all floated away.... :p