mounting transducer on aluminum jon boat

freybaby

Cadet
I have a 12 ft aluminum jon boat. What is the best way to mount transducer to be able to use fishfinder while moving. Is there a recommended place , and depth? I am currently using a bracket that I made that the transducer mounts to and is clamped onto the top of the transom. At times this works well while sitting but will lose its reading for no apparent reason. It does not work while moving even at slow trolling speed. The transducer is supposed to be high speed.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

skimmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: mounting transducer on aluminum jon boat

you've just got to get it as low down as you can, keep it at least a foot from the propeller and in between the ribs on the bottom of the hull, if youve got ribs on the side of the hull they cause a lot of turbulance as well at high speeds so you've got to keep it as far away from them as well as staying a foot away from the prop. mine reads perfectly at 20 knots. a mate of mine that does a lot of trolling mounted his on a bracket that goes half a foot below the boat as his got twin motors that cause a lot of turbulence, kicks up a bit of a rooster tail but works well.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

....I am currently using a bracket that I made that the transducer mounts to and is clamped onto the top of the transom. At times this works well while sitting but will lose its reading for no apparent reason. It does not work while moving even at slow trolling speed. The transducer is supposed to be high speed.

Thanks!!!
Is the transducer at the top of the transom, and not in the water? That *would* be the problem.

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class

what i did to mount my transducer on an aluminum boat was i went to wally world and bought a cheap plastic cutting board and some 3m 5200 marine adhesive. after roughing up the paint on the boat i glued the cutting board to the boat and then mounted my transducer to the cutting board. no holes required:)
hope that helps

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Transducer needs to be pointed straight down. Transducer needs to have at least 1/2 of the transducer below the hull. On V hulls this means one side will be at least one half below the hull and the other side maybe completely below the hull. Make sure it is mounted in green water as you look over the transom. Aluminum boats with rivets make a lot of air bubbles. If you get air bubbles under the trasnsducer then it will not work. So make sure it not lined up with a row of rivets or a hull stake.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Mount it inside, close to the transom on a surface that will allow the cone to cover the area you want covered. Flat bottom john, no problem. SemiV may have to move it away from the centerline to get a flatter surface.

Use a 2 part epoxy, rough up the boat and the bottom of the puk and glue her down. Mix slowly to minimize bubbles. On a john, bubbles aren't that big of a deal as you aren't going out in the ocean with it and don't have to worry about deep readings............are you? Grin.

Mark