Mounting cleats on my dock

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'll be mounting cleats on my dock for an 18' pontoon. How far fore and aft of the boat should I mount the cleats?

TIA

cyclops222

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Cross tie or long for and aft dock lines are great. To prevent the lines from ripping out dock or boat cleats in high wind and waves.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Depend on the water that the dock is in. Buddy of mine has a 40 foot dock that turns into a T. Lake will see Summer storms that can have 80-100mph winds

Dock has a row of cleats every 6-8 feet, 2 stakes in land, 2 cleats on the T. Boat is kept off the dock about 4' with the lines. Only tied to the dock for loading/unloading

Last edited:

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cross tie or long for and aft dock lines are great. To prevent the lines from ripping out dock or boat cleats in high wind and waves.
Fortunately, I'm on a lake. But your suggestion has merit. Thank you.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Make sure the cleats are solidly attached. Dock boards are normally nailed down. They are not always solidly attached to the joists, and can pull out, especially if the nails rust.

Here on the salty bay, I tie the lines to the pilings, as they are much stronger than any cleat on a dock board.

cyclops222

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I use 6" long Galvanized bolts and washers on BIG dock cleats. I drill pilot holes thru the dock planks and 3" into the beams under the board / planks. The boat cleats ALL need Aluminum backer plates to spread the twisting line forces out better.
1 friend has those rubber Mooring Snubbers in the long dock lines.