Mounting a kicker bracket

jofish

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All

Looking at getting a new auxiliary motor mount (kicker bracket) looking for opinions on towing with the motor on the bracket. Planning on getting the GARELICK 4-Stroke Auxiliary Outboard Bracket which looks to be a solid bracket. My kicker is a 8 Hp. Mercury that weighs 73 lbs. according to my research (and back) and I would like to get away from taking it on/off every time I go out but have not felt confident enough with my old bracket to leave it on when on the road.Is the bouncing from the roads to much for the transom? Would a backer plate on the inside be recomended? Not sure exactly which hull the install will be on, if all goes well it will be 1999 Trophy 1802 Walk????

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Mounting a kicker bracket

I have a kicker on a 21 foot runabout on a kicker bracket. My outboard is a 15 HP Johnson 2 stroke and weighs 74 pounds. I never taken the motor when I trailer the boat but I think most recomend you do. My first setup the motor bounced around a lot on the road. I added a second bracket and coupled them together and that helped alot but it still bounces some.

Anything you add to a boat transom that has any weight at all should have a large backing plate.

MVC-055F-1-1.jpg

Good Luck

Drowned Rat

Captain

They suggest you don't leave the motor on the bracket when towing, but I used to do it all the time. I put the motor in the tilted down position and strapped it tight to the transom. If you strap it tight, nothing should move, not even a little play in the bracket. Never had a problem.

gss036

Commander

I have been using my kickers on a bracket for the last 20 years. I had one incident w/15HP Honda breaking a part. By and large it is a whole lot rougher on the water than towing on a trailer. I started using bungee cords to hold the motor/bracket tighter so you don't get as much bounce. I also have the kicker bolted to the mounting plate. My new T9.9 even came with the bolts.

jofish

Seaman Apprentice

Watching it flop around while on the water is why I have been taking it off when towing,had visions of a 70 lb projectile bouncing down the road at 60mph didn't like the idea of hurting someone. I use a saftey chain and padlock when it's on the boat but just never could bring myself to tow with it.
Boatist, thanks for the pic the bracket you made looks very simular to the GARELICK I am looking at. Drowned Rat,gss036 your mention of strapping it down confirmed my gut feeling, I was thinking along the lines of one of the smaller rachet straps. Thanks to all for the advice going to try it (probably get my wife to follow me aroung for awhile in the neighborhood for piece of mind)....J