Mould on under side of canvas?

ulster

Cadet
Can someone give me advice re removing mould,<br />We got delivery of used boat in May this year and did not notice any mould on the inside of the canvas, as the summer rolled on the mould seemed to increase, also is there a way to remove without damaging the material, we are concerned that if we use chemicals we will remove the water protection.<br />Also how do we keep from having the same challange next year.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mould on under side of canvas?

Throw it in the Washing Machine,+ Wash It......<br />Then into the Dryer.....<br />Then retreat it after that............<br />
Also how do we keep from having the same challange next year.
Ventilation .............. ;)

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a product made by 3-M that restores the water protection.[spray on]<br />And it works good.<br />I will post tomorrow and give you the product name.

Bondo

Staff member

I used "Scotch Guard" on my Sunbrella top.......<br />Made a Very Leaky top, Very Water-Proof...........

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Bondo:<br /> I used "Scotch Guard" on my Sunbrella top.......<br />Made a Very Leaky top, Very Water-Proof...........
Be careful which Scotch Guard you use. There is one for fabric, and one for vinyl, and leather.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Dont use hot water or put it in a dryer or you will have to use it on smaller boat when you are done.Wet the canvas with water and mix a 50/50 solution of bleach and water.Test a small spot for discoloration.Spray it on all of the mold and wait just long enough for it to disappear.It will only take a minute or two tops.Then rinse it immediately. after the rinse you can put it directly in a barrel of cold water and wash it or throw it in the washer on mild.Make sure you do the barrel or washer right after rinsing.After it is clean but still wet, put it back on the boat.Leave it on until it completely dries.This will make sure it dont shrink.When it is dry get some starbrite waterproofer at the marine store and wet it down.This is much better than scotch guard and waaaaay longer lasting.Been there-- done that.Starbrite is not the absolute best choice but it is very reasonable compared to the best and does a good job.The best is formula 303...Charlie

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Try to keep any solution containing bleach away from the seams and when you think you have rinsed it thoeoughly - - rinse it again. Bleach eats thread.

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ulster:<br />Look and see if there is a label, any where that says " Sunbrella", if so do not use a 50/50 mix of clorox and water.<br />It is manufactured using a wet dyed acrylic yarn and certain cleaning products can damage the color or turn white a light yellow.<br /><br />The plant is near me and I know people who work there. Here is the reccommend cleaning solution.<br />---------------------------------------------------<br />Prepare a special cleaning mixture:<br /><br />Four ounces (half cup) of chlorine bleach. <br />Two ounces (one-fourth cup) of natural soap.<br />One gallon of water.<br />Clean with soft bristle brush.<br />Allow mixture to soak for up to 20 minutes.<br />Rinse thoroughly. <br />Air dry. Repeat if necessary.<br />----------------------------------------------------<br /><br />It probably will need to be retreated, but as Bondo said Scotch Guard will work. ;)

ulster

Cadet

Thanks for the info I am going to go with CClancer's info.

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is spooky, I just dealt with this today at lunch time! It's happened regularly on both my boats, despite removing the Sunbrella twice a year and doing the recommended procedure.<br /><br />You guys are all giving him advice on cleaning the top and waterproofing it, which is good. But mould on the inside will grow even if you've waterproofed the top as per Sunbrella's directions. It's often damp in a closed cockpit, with little airflow. Plus, the bird crap we all know & love allows nutrients to wick through to the inside, feeding the mould, even if you wash the top regularly.<br /><br />Here's what to do. Wait for a dry day. Get a vacuum cleaner and put the stiff brush attachment on it. Put on a dust mask to protect your lungs. Vacuum the hell out of the canvas. The mould will usually vacuum off completely, leaving no residue. Then spray it with 3M Mildew Block.<br /><br />That will buy you a lot of time until you can remove the canvas and wash/waterproof it properly.

Snookster

Seaman

Thee biocide used in the BBJ product is essenualy the same chemical used in cutting boards to prevent bacterial growth - we used it on metal & pourous fiberglass to prevent mold growth - will last aprox 6 months.