motors not matching up?

Jim Robbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I had my 1982 Evinrude 140 hp (E140TRLCNB) blow its head.......so I bought a 1985 Johnson 140 hp (J140TLCO) with VRO system, tilt-trim, controls, and things are not quite the same? My mistake! I was going to put the prop. from one to the other (NO, diferant size prop. shaft). What is the prop shaft size for the 1985 Johnson 140?
What else is different between the motors? Is there a motor weight difference? Is there any other things I have to consider when hooking up motor? Is there a height that oil reservoir should be mounted? What is the Pre-start-up, first start up, ect. any other advice is greatly appreciated!!
Thank-you.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: motors not matching up?

The 1985 140 is a small bore looper. Awesome motor, tons of torque. Once you get it running you'll be amazed at the difference in torque and the same horsepower. 1950 technology vs. 1985.

The 1985 140 has a V6 style gearcase. Some will tell you it is a V6 unit but it's not. Different gear ratio and some other differences internally. But it takes a V6 prop.

Same wiring harness, same controls. Basically a plug & play deal. You can mount the tank at any level, doesn't matter. If it ends up higher than the pump it my siphon oil, maybe not.

You can mount the motor a little higher because the prop is a larger diameter. Make sure the 85 140 is a 20" like the 82.

Once you get it running you'll soon learn this was not a mistake at all. Maybe a stroke of good luck but not a mistake.