Motorcycle (CBR1100XX) question.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Hi,<br /><br />I've been riding motorcycles for about a decade now. Started on an 81 Honda Magna 750, then a 98 Honda shadow 1100 tourer, then a 99 Suzuki Katana 750, then a 2000 Kawi Ninja ZX11, then a 2002 Honda Shadow 1100 Aero, and now here I am. I sold the aero last year to help buy the boat I have now. <br /><br />Well, here I am after 10 months without a bike and I've finally broke down. I have decided to buy used so I can save on the initial depreciation hit, as well as get liability only insurance, which is $177 a year comapred to $1700 a year for full coverage on the bikes I'm considering. <br /><br />So here is my dilemma. I have my mind pretty much made up but I like to hear what other people think.<br /><br />I have been looking for a used 1100-class sport tourer. I have looked at some Kawasaki ZX-11's, a couple ZZR-1200's, and the Honda CBR1100XX's. <br /><br />None of these bikes put down less than 130hp at the rear wheel. The CBR1100 has 160 rwhp. <br /><br />Long story short, a dealer by me has a leftover 2003 Honda CBR1100XX, 0 miles, full warranty, and is asking $8499. MSRP is $10,999. <br /><br />I hoped to spend no more than $5000-$6000 on a bike, a little more if age/condition/mileage warranted it. Now I can (just barely) afford this new CBR1100XX, but it will completely tap out the reserves. <br /><br />Positives - Brand new, warranty, $2500 under MSRP, maybe I can haggle a little more (I'd like to get it for $8000 out the door). Used 2003 CBR's are going for up to $9000 in the ads and ebay.<br /><br />Negatives - There goes the boat gas fund reserve. <br /><br />Wife says OK. My dad who's a harley rider even said it's a nice bike. <br /><br />I decided that whatever bike I buy now has to be the last one I buy for a while. <br /><br />All reviews out there on the bike are 5-star raves. This model year has digital instrumentation and electronic fuel injection to boot. <br /><br />Basically I don't even know what I'm asking. I know I want it. I know I can (barely) afford it, with cash. I have deicded never to finance a "toy" again. What to you think, should I get it? What are the odds of getting the dealer to go even a bit lower than his asking price of $8499?<br /><br />I'm going to look at it after work today (which will be 10:00am). I am going to try to really push the "I have cash and will spend it today" angle to get the price I want. But seeing used bikes out there for more than he's asking for the new one I feel honeslty a little guilty or cheap or something.<br /><br />So confilcted... :)

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Motorcycle (CBR1100XX) question.

Don't worry about feeling cheap, he'll be making a profit on it.<br /><br />Barter if you want it-if you've got cash in hand it's worth a try.