Motor Wont Turn Over/Even by Hand

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mercruiser 470's

Well I am back again. I am in process of illimination without spending still. I have excluded the Alternator Rotor and Stater being froze. I also illiminated the outdrive being froze. I still can not turn motor over even by hand with Alternator Rotor off. That leads me to water pump. (remember that starter ran in wrong direction the motor turned over freely) Could the shaft that turns the impeller or the impeller for water pump be broke and not allowing rotation (closed system). How does the water pump get its rotation? Water flow or Gear? Manual doesn't specify. Manual tells me I have to change oil pan gasket if I remover cover for water pump. Is this so or can I pull the cover w/out oil pan replacement?

If nothing else I will know these motors inside out when done:D

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Motor Wont Turn Over/Even by Hand

Just how did the starter turn in the wrong direction?
The circ impeller(engine pump) is driven by the camshaft(bolted to it)

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Marina sold me a reverse rotation starter. I am new to this so I didn't know the difference.

The boat never started (obviously) with RR starter but it did turn over. Now that the right starter is in the motor will not even turn over. Could the water pump impeller or shaft gone bad in this situation? It is the only thing that could be stopping the motor from turning (my thought) since it worked, turned over 8 hrs earlier. There seems to be no way it could sieze being it never ran to get hot. What else could have broke while cranking over with RR Starter?

HELP:confused:

Last edited:

gman11

Recruit

Couple of suggestions:

Try removing belt and plugs and see if motor spins over. If the plugs are removed and the motor still will not turn over then it may be froze up (That is if the starter and battery are good).

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I need other options. A motor can not sieze or freeze without reason. Did all that.
Here is what happened in short: Boat is not in water, it is in drydock so no saltwater. Closed system. Motor turned over perfectly when reverse rotation starter was in. Obviously motor won't start going backwards. Found out starter was wrong took it off went to marina traded it in for the right starter. When I put good starter in it cranked over for about half turn then nothing. Even got a backfire out of carb (small one) Sounds like starter wants to work but won't. Tried to turn over with breaker bar after not turning over with starter and I can not budge it. Is it in the water pump or in the outdrive?

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it possible that a gear or something went in the upper part or the outdrive thats not allowing engine to turn over? If so how can I check this instead of pulling the outdrive off at this point?

Sorry guys for driving you crazy with all the ?'s. Its just driving me crazy and I need to fix it myself. I am bound and determined to not let this win.

Maclin

Admiral

Have you tried taking out all the spark plugs and turning it over that way since you put in the new starter?

I have read where the magnets in the internal alternator stator on those are just epoxied in and can come out and jam and keep the engine from turning.

Now, your last sentence asks if it is in the water pump or in the outdrive. The raw water pump is in the drive but in your first post you said you had eliminated the drive as a possible cause. If the drive is still hooked up then I am not sure how you could eliminate the drive as the problem now.

Maclin

Admiral

The only way to eliminate the drive as a problem is to remove it.

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maclin may have the answer. I saw that happen once with the stator magnets.

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you tried taking out all the spark plugs and turning it over that way since you put in the new starter?
YES

I have read where the magnets in the internal alternator stator on those are just epoxied in and can come out and jam and keep the engine from turning.
Took Alternator Stator off and it looks great

Now, your last sentence asks if it is in the water pump or in the outdrive. The raw water pump is in the drive but in your first post you said you had eliminated the drive as a possible cause. If the drive is still hooked up then I am not sure how you could eliminate the drive as the problem now.
I ment water pump on closed side. And I thought there was a way I could put drive in gear and spin the prop clockwise or something like that (I thought I read it here but can not find it)

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think your next step is to pull the drive to eliminate it as being the problem. Also have you pulled the starter back off? Is it broken and jammed against the flywheel?

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also have you pulled the starter back off? Is it broken and jammed against the flywheel?

You know of all the things that I haven't done is pull the old starter back off to see if I can turn it over by hand. I will try that in morning. Wish the boat was here inmy yard, I would be out there all night.