motor wont start, solenoid wont click

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
according the the wise ones FAQ, sounds like its the key switch (the TT gets power when the key is in first position, though...would that mean the solenoid?). Im thinking the switch. are these readily available or is this something else Im going to have to go hunting for? Can I substitute any key switch (or even a push button)?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: motor wont start, solenoid wont click

Without doing some testing, don't start throwing parts at the problem. Using a test light or voltmeter, have someone turn the key to START while you measure the voltage at the solenoid start terminal. If there is voltage at that point, its the solenoid. If no voltage, check for voltage at the switch. If there is voltage there, its a switch problem. The neutral start switch may also be bad or misadjusted. All of these tests assume you have a fully charged, known good battery.

aidenscott

Cadet

you can bypass the switch by jumping the solenoid and see if that works. Use a push button swich and connect one side to the postive post on your solenoid, ( the side connected to your battery). then connect the other wire to the small post on the side of the solenoid. makes sure all your battery and cable connections are CLEAN and TIGHT first. if nothig happens you may have a bum solenoid.

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks Upin...I did check volts at solenoid when kiddo turned the switch...nothing, so Im thinkgin switch. didnt think to check voltage at the switch...Ill do that tomorrow, and check the neutral switch while Im there. <br /><br />this is first start this year...I expected some problems. If I come out with just a switch, Ill be happy.

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks aiden...I jumped the solenoid to starter and it cranked over, so its either the solenoid, key, neutral, or batt connections, I think. Im thinking key only because Im not getting any power to the solenoid when the key is turned.

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK...I thought I had this licked. 0 volts at solenoid when key was turned. I bought a switch, but after connecting it, its still not starting and there is now 12v across the solenoid and still no click, no start (the wires were cracked around the switch, I dont feel bad about replacing that, but maybe I had a switch and a soleniod? And just in case Im not hooking the switch up right, anybody have a good switch diagram for a 1978, merc 1150 inline 6?<br /><br />by the way, I jumped the solenoid and the old girl popped right over...I love that big tall gal! just wish she didnt drink so much.<br /><br />thanks

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh, and Im assuming Im testing the solenoid at the yellow small terminal...right?

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, guys, I need help. Ive done exactly what upinsmoke said, Ive thrown a bunch of parts at the problem, and still nothing. <br />no click, no start.<br />-replaced battery before any of this, old one had bad cell<br />-was getting 0 volts across solenoid (I thought), so I replaced switch<br />-after switch replace, am now getting 12volts across solenoid, so replaced solenoid<br />-tested continuity across nuetral switch, and its good.<br /><br />so basically, Ive replaced every one of the ignition components that I can think of. started chacking continuity from the cannon plug to the switch wires, and managed to find all the plug wires except one, the red wire that goes to the A terminal on the switch. checking thru all the plug wires, the red seems to get only 4 volts across one of the terminals. could this be it? do I have a break in the power (red) wire? But, tried to jump red from batt red to switch red, and still nothing. What next? Im stumped.