Motor will not tilt all the way down with manual trim release screw backed out

PhilSch

Cadet
I have a 1986 60 hp Evinrude (new to me) which was running when I bought it and the hydraulic tilt worked but I did not try to lower the motor all the way down. I have the engine hanging on an engine hoist and plan on bolting it to the boat tomorrow. A few days ago I wanted to make some measurements for installing a jack plate (just put a jet pump on it) and while measuring I noticed the motor was not tilted all the way down. Since no controls are hooked up I opened the manual release valve 3-4 turns and I can not get the mounting bracket to swing back to the motor. Thinking maybe I needed more leverage I tried a ratchet strap but it just won't budge. It comes back so far and then stops short. With the screw open the tilt will spring up several inches and can be pulled back down a certain amount, but again, short of where it should be. I have never owned an outboard with tilt before. Am I missing something obvious? I appreciate your inputs.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
guessing you need the weight of the motor leg pushing down on the transom or stand.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Some Trim systems manual relief valve was designed to allow tilting the engine up, but only allowing it to lower to the highest point of the Trim range.

Hook up a battery and Control box and see if it still works properly.

Grub54891

Admiral
Is there a pin in the lower bracket that goes from side to side to limit trim down?

PhilSch

Cadet
Some Trim systems manual relief valve was designed to allow tilting the engine up, but only allowing it to lower to the highest point of the Trim range.

Hook up a battery and Control box and see if it still works properly.

Jimmbo,

It's encouraging to hear that. Hopefully that's the issue here.

PhilSch

Cadet
guessing you need the weight of the motor leg pushing down on the transom or stand.

As mentioned in my original post I was thinking that could be the case but I eliminated that possibility with the ratchet strap.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
If its the two wire trim tilt system (most one are) you just need to connect a jumper from battery terminals to the two wires from the unit. Reversing this will reverse the direction of trim/tilt

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Perhaps the manual thrust rod is set out too far for full inward trim adjustment when off the boat — may be set to compensate for a particular transom rake.

PhilSch

Cadet
Ok, I hooked up the wiring from the control box to the motor and connected the battery but the trim does not work at all now. As mentioned the trim worked before the motor was removed from the original hull. When I push the up trim switch up or down there is nothing. The starter motor works fine.

I don't think they affect trim function but there are three wires left unconnected because I am not sure what they are for. One is a single red wire about 3' long connected into the lower part of the control box. The connector is a half round, single wire only. I'm guessing that's for a tach?

The other two wires not connected are are a black wire and a white//brown wire coming from the control box. These two wires are coming out of the trim harness (green/white, red/white and blue/white) about 3' from the control box. A link to a pic of those wires is also attached. Is the white/brown wire is a signal wire for tilt angle?

Do any of these wires need to be connected to power/ground in order for the trim to work?

PhilSch

Cadet
Here's a picture of the white/ brown and black wires coming from the trim harness

PhilSch

Cadet
If its the two wire trim tilt system (most one are) you just need to connect a jumper from battery terminals to the two wires from the unit. Reversing this will reverse the direction of trim/tilt

You are correct, the trim motor has just two wires, blue and green I connect those wires to power and ground directly and the trim goes up and down. Now I have to figure out why the control box does not actuate the trim motor.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Bad switch, broken wire, corroded/poor connections, improper wiring, solenoid problems.

You best get a good Service Manual, one that has the Wiring Diagrams

Bosunsmate

Admiral
It may be your relays.
Here is a very comprehensive and easy to follow explanation of the wiring for these.
Note its ground which is fed through the control switch to activate the relays. Thats where id start, check you have ground then work up from there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Vf7mSUlUY