motor value

geaz

Cadet
i have a 85 hp, 76 evinrude model #: 85693D <br />serial #: J0003119 or so i'm told, that i was thinking about buying. could you tell me what it is worth, with prop and controls without installation. also, i'd like to find a newer model(johnson or evinrude) with power trim in decent shape that's not extremely expensive, might you know where to find one? i've looked at all the local places and got nothing. i live in south central pennsylvania. One more, my boat says the max hp is 135. is it safe to put a 135 on it? i heard that you should only put about 80% of the max on any given boat, but if i got a good deal...can it handle it, or is it too dangerous? it's a 1978 18' bonita <br /><br />thanks, <br />geaz

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: motor value

Wrong on the 80%. If it says that it is rated for 135 hp then that is the max that the boat is rated for. It should not be overpowered though I don't know the bonita. If you get it be conservative and get to know your rig.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: motor value

70% of maximum is usually the minimun you need to get decent performance.<br /><br />What is the 85hp worth? Depends on condition and local market, $500-$1000 where I live.