Motor turns over but won’t start

jacksonc

Recruit
I have a 1997 evinrude intruder v4 115hp. 2 days ago I was running at roughly 30 mph and the boat suddenly shut off and wouldn’t crank back up. 3 hours later when I got home it fired up and I immediately turned it off because I didn’t have it hooked up on muffs, didn’t think it would actually fire up. Went to use it today and it turned over and fired once then died. 20 minutes later it fired up and ran for 20 seconds. Any ideas on where to start figuring this issue out? New boat owner so not familiar with working on outboards/troubleshooting issues

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There are many things that could be the problem. I would say if your going to do your own work start by getting and factory service manual and start reading the trouble shooting sections.

jacksonc

Recruit
There are many things that could be the problem. I would say if your going to do your own work start by getting and factory service manual and start reading the trouble shooting sections.
Update. I have done a compression test, all cylinders good. Replaced spark plugs and ran spark test, all had good spark. The plugs get wet with fuel so I am assuming it’s not a fuel related issue as far as getting the fuel. Could it be bad fuel, or does anyone have other ideas on something else to troubleshoot?

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update. I have done a compression test, all cylinders good. Replaced spark plugs and ran spark test, all had good spark. The plugs get wet with fuel so I am assuming it’s not a fuel related issue as far as getting the fuel. Could it be bad fuel, or does anyone have other ideas on something else to troubleshoot?
Are you using bad fuel? Try starting fluid if it fires up then I guess you have bad gas. I don't know why you wouldn't be using good fuel in the first place

jacksonc

Recruit
Are you using bad fuel? Try starting fluid if it fires up then I guess you have bad gas. I don't know why you wouldn't be using good fuel in the first place
I don’t think it’s bad fuel I just got the gas and oil 4 days ago. Going to try a different tank with new fuel and see what that does in the morning. Was reading about it possibly being a flywheel key, would I still be able to get spark with a messed up flywheel key

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If it is a 60 degree looper motor there is no flywheel key !----Model # of the motor ?

saltchuckmatt

Commander
I would take it out and do circles until it craps out on you and then do a spark jump test. If no spark then start testing components or broken wire/short.