Motor squeaks when hot...inputs?

bbalcer

Seaman
My motor usually runs like a champ but when it is throttled back to idle after running WOT for a few minutes, it sounds like it is squeaking. This would tend to make me think there is a small leak in the exhaust somewhere. The sound seems to come from the top of the power head like a bearing is squeaking but I would think a bearing problem there would tend to allow the flywheel to vibrate when not running. I dont think it is a head gasket due to it not blowing air and compression good on all cylinders (125psi across the board). Anyone have any ideas. The motor is a 1996 Mariner 115, thanks.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Motor squeaks when hot...inputs?

That sounds like a upper main bearing---Bob

bbalcer

Seaman

Thanks Bob, how would one pull the bearing after removing the flywheel. I imagine the oil seal would come out with an o-ring puller, being destroyed in the process. How would you remove the upper bearing, or is it not interference fit in the opening. Seloc says there is a 2 piece shell with a clip holding the pieces in place. The roller bearings would be inside that. I've not gotten any further into it than removing the flywheel to access the stator and trigger in the past.

bbalcer

Seaman

After looking at merc's website, it appears that it is a single assembly part number: 31-43013T 3. Is it a plug and play type operation after replacing the oil seal?

Laddies

Banned

Smoker I was thinking of an I/6 when I first shot off my mouth, thats why I tryed to edit it before any one saw it I guess I was to late. Sorry Bob :confused: :confused: :confused: No the engine will have to be split

bbalcer

Seaman

no problem. thanks for the update. will the squeaking bearings become worse, or cause any other damage? it sounds like a decent project, I'd hate to tear the motor down in the spring unless it is necessary.

Laddies

Banned

It will probaly get worse I wonder if it may have rusted a little over winter, did you fog the engine last fall and yes it could damage the crankshaft and other componetes, know you don't want to hear that. Lets see if you get someother input, with better news--Bob

Clams Canino

Commander

Check the bleed hose and the check valves that carry oil from the bottom (where it puddles) to the top bearing. You may find the cause and arrest the problem, and extend the time to a real failure greatly.<br /><br />-W

bbalcer

Seaman

It did it a couple times last year too. I usually don't run it very long, only from ramp to first spot...shut down, then to next spot...shut down, etc. I'll try and find the plumbing that carries oil to the top bearing. Would it be external or internal to the head?

bbalcer

Seaman

I was taking a little siesta and woke up wondering where the oil is coming from to lubricate the crankshaft, piston bearings, upper and lower mains, etc. My motor is a 2 stroke and as such the oil is in the fuel. Does the oil simply not ignite when mixed with the fuel and just drain down the block? May sound like a dumb question but I've never opened an outboard before.

Laddies

Banned

A certain amout of oil puddles in the crankcase as it works it's way down to the bottom main brg where vacume from number 1 cyl pulls it up the hose clams was talking about and cycles it's self again

I've had this same problem for 2 years. Have yet to figure it out. Mercury Marine service hot line said they've seen this on some engines but not sure what it's from. They told me to run it and don't worry.<br /><br />RIGHT!<br /><br />--Dale