Motor Smoking

eltonh20

Cadet
My 1993 Mercury 135 hp smokes on start up. How much smoke if any should there be when the motor is cold? After warm up it smokes slightly at low speed. No smoking at all at medium and high speeds. Thanks.

fastback4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Motor Smoking

I assume that your motor is a 2 stroke. If this is so, my experience with outboards confirms that cold start-up's with heavy smoke in the exhaust is normal. As the motor warms up to operating temperatures the smoke is not as heavy. If your motor is tuned properly and the carbs are set correctly (air/fuel mix) your smoke density should follow this pattern. Of course i have seen motors with piston ring wear or faulty reeds that will make heavy smoke regardless of the time the motor has run. My2centsworth.com......lol

backdraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

elton, as stated they all smoke at startup. You will find that the better quality oils smoke less or allmost not at all. nevjb

profish00

Petty Officer 3rd Class

On my 1993 150 I noticed that the oil flow ajustment was installed incorrectly this valve like thing was feeding oil to my motor in full force all the time. After I fixed the problem and ajusted the valve it still smoked but not as bad. I like to see the smoke it means the oil pump is working....