Motor shuts off

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, I have a 1996 3.0 LX Mercruiser Alpha One II, when I run it at full throttle it runs perfect for about 4 or 5 minutes but then it shuts off. It starts alright, but when I run it again it shuts off after about 4 or 5 minutes.

captmello

Captain
Re: Motor shuts off

Might want to check the coil or ignition module.

Does the boat have to sit before restarting?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Next time it stops, immediately check to see if you have spark coming from the coil. Also check to see if you have fuel pumping from the accelerator pump.

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

now it doesnt start i checked the spark on the coil and the spark comes out white and the spark where the spark plugs are and they come out yellow and no gas comes out from the fuel pump and i put gas directly in carb and it does nothing.:confused: i guess i have to change fuel pump but the question is is the spark supposed to be yellow???

Last edited:

rbh

Fleet Admiral

spark should be brilliant blue and you should hear the snap.
do you have an electric fuel pump?
having these two problems could indicate the state of your battery and its connections
rob

Last edited:

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The fuel pump is manual, I tried putting gas in the carb to start it but it didn't help.

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i changed the module but still nothing and i put gas in the carb and still nothing
:confused: im about to burn the boat :mad: it ran fine and then shut off and didnt start because battery was dead and now it cranks but doesn't start at all :(

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds to me like all you are doing is throwing parts at it without haveing any idea why of it the parts is the problem or not.

Go up to the adults only sticky at the top of this forum and download the OEM service manual for your engine. #13 is the one you want. Then follow the test procedures for the EST ignition system and the fuel system. Then repair or replace what is actually wrong.