Motor Shuts Off At Running Temp

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The motor will start right up when cold. When it gets to running temp (around 160) it will idle up from 1000rpm to about 1200rpm then back down. It does that a few times and then shuts down. Water seperater? Carb probs? Does someone have an idea?

Oh ya, Its a 165 HP 4 cylinder

Last edited:

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Motor Shuts Off At Running Temp

Need Help Please.

Let me go back a little. I bought the boat and drove down the coast about 3 hours. Motor ran great until I got about 1/2 mile from marina. I coolant hose blew off. I shut port motor off as soon as it happened. It would not start back up after letting it cool for about 1 hour. So we brought boat in one starboard motor. The next day it fired right up. So we went went out and just run up the intercoastal at about 3000rpm. After about 2 miles the motor shut down. Wouldn't start back up. Yesterday afternoon I went to look over all connections, wiring, fuel lines, and more. I went to start it and it fired right up again. I did smell a little fuel before it shut off while running it at dock with boot. (read first post) I tried to restart and the starter will not stay engaged. Its like the solenoid gets hot. I took starter off and had it tested(need new one, sounds like I have sand in the armature) :mad: But back to running problem. Could my impeller in outdrive be bad, and if so how hard to change? Or is it something I listed in first post. The motor is a 1985 470 165 w/4brl if this will help.

I know I sort of dbl posted but I really need help with this so I thought with more info I could get answers..

Thank You

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If it was any engine other than the 470 my first step might be different but since you have that engine, you might want to do a compression check. Check it when the engine has warmed up.

When the engine shut down the second day, was it overheating? Was the coolant getting blown out of the heat exchanger. Does the level of coolant change at all?

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

temp is running at about 160. Not overheating. I do not know if water is blowing out of exchanger? I am new to this boat world. There is a hole on both sides of outdrives. Water only comes out of one hole when motor running with boots. The sterndrive motor does same (water out one hole) but runs great