motor ran out of the water

jjohnson_714

Cadet
yes i know it was stupid. but anyways someone in our family ran our 6 horse motor out of the water to 'warm it up' now it starts, runs a few seconds, then dies. not wanting to spend the money to take it to a shop to have it repaired, what would your guy's suggestions be for parts to check and replace. i'm havent torn it apart yet to see if anything is seized or just plain old looks bad, but i'm planning to this weekend. any thoughts would be appreciated. someone told us that the impeller was probably bad, so i will check on that.

thanks
justin

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: motor ran out of the water

Start with a new water pump. You will most likely find that the water pump impeller is damaged.

The head gasket may be damaged, so pick up one of those while you are there. If you should decide not to check the head gasket, at least re-torque the cylinder head.

Post the model number here so that others can better advise you.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Give us the details.Was it run until it seized?Was it run for 10 seconds or 10 minutes?Is the cylinder head discolored?

jjohnson_714

Cadet

um lets see. i dont have the serial # on me because its at my parents house. i think it was run for about a minute or so. and im not sure about the cylinder head being discollored. i'm going back up there this week, so i'll check those and get back to you guys with more info. thanks for the replys.

so with the water pump, would i buy a new one, a parts kit, or just the impeller?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

How old do you think the motor is? They started making the 6HP in 1926. There are a few differences over the years.

jjohnson_714

Cadet

its my bro's so im not 100% sure but think its like 60's to 70's. i'll also get that info too this week.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

when was the last time the engine was ran, prior to this? could be gummed up carbs, coils getting hot and failing, leak ing fuel line, vent not open on tank. check compression and spark before tearing anything down.