motor puzzle help

skeffer

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a motor i was told was a 73 evinrude 60 hp the model no is 60173c sn# j13222 I have a book for the 73-91 engines but it only shows a 89 60 hp by evinrude. It is a 3cyl 3 carb one coil with the amplifier box next to the coil. it doesn't seem to be getting any spark so I need to know if this is a 73 model so I will know hot to fix. Any sugesstions wolud be helpful. I did check to points and they are set correctly and working. I do have 12vdc going to the amp box and 11 vdc out of the box to the coil. When I mesured the resistance btween the two coil wires I get zero ohms, Does this indicate a bad coil as I am led to belive and is there a way the verifie this. :confused:

skeffer

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: motor puzzle help

Is there a test for determining if the coil is good as I checked it with a ohm meter and get zero resistance between the + and neg wires. This leads me to belive the coil is bad., is there a way to verifie that this is actally bad or what should the reading be

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: motor puzzle help

Howdy, Skeffer.<br /><br />The "coil" is really a transformer consisting of 2 coils; a low voltage winding and a high voltage winding. Each will read very low resistance across it, and you will read very low resistance from the input to the low voltage side to the output of the high voltage side because each has one end grounded. "Very low" means less than 5 ohms. So, your coil is probably good.<br /><br />Once you get the correct manual you should be able to wring it out. <br /><br />Let us know what you find. :)