motor problems

steve67c

Recruit
i have a 5.7 omc i'm getting water in the oil and cylinders. have just rebuilt it and everything new expect the risers anybody have any idea how the water is getting in?

Laddies

Banned
Re: motor problems

risers a prime sorce of water in the oil, take them off and turn them up side down and fill the exh. chamber with fuel oil and if they are cracked it will leak into the water jacket. Bob

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Steve.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />We have seperate message boards for problems.<br /><br />I will move this to the I/O and Inboards forum.

steve67c

Recruit

Thanks the heads have been overhauled so there not warped. I replaced everything except the riser ran water in them but was no leaks. I have a problem with how the water gets back in the cylinders from the risers while the motor is running.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you put on Marine head gaskets? If you are boating in salt or brackish water, standard automotive gaskets will go away very quickly.<br />You could also have an intake manifold gasket leak.<br />Also check the gaskets between the risers and manifolds. If the surfaces where the gasket touches isn't shiny metal (Flat black and soft, is not netal) they need to be replaced. Water in the cylinders can leak past the rings and get into the oil, especially on a new or rebuilt engine where the rings are not seated completely.

steve67c

Recruit

This motor has only ran for about 20 min just enough time to adjust the values. Ordered new risers today hope that will take care of the problem. Thanks for the help.