motor problems

norm

Recruit
Purchased a 1964 crestliner 120hp i/o motor.<br />After the second run found water in oil.The oil was good first time out.What can I check to see if i have any engine left? Is there any hope?

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: motor problems

Hi Norm,<br />Change the oil& filter.Run again,But don't slow down fast or unload it at a steep landing.The exhaust shutter valve may be burnt out letting water into the motor through the exh valve. The exh riser maybe rusted out.The head gasket might be blown.<br />Do a compression test on it. post back.<br />corm

norm

Recruit

Hi Corm,<br />Thanks for the reply back.I did a compression test with the following results: cyl. 1-4 are 1=115 2=103 3=105 4=130. I am assuming that these numbers are too low and that the motor is shot.I now have a feeling that the previous owner did not winterize it properly.Possibly a crack in the engine.Do you think it is worth the time to tear the engine down if this is the case? What are the chances the damage is ownly in the head?Thanks for your help!

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Norm,<br />no4 is ok. the head gasket maybe bad between<br />no.s 2 & 3.<br />Generally they crack to the outside under the intake manifold. But not always. It never hurts to look at them. Because of the year you wont be able to put in a real new bock without replacing the transom plate.<br />...good luck...corm