Motor Noise 2000 90hp Merc

Fastmetal

Recruit
I have a 2000 90hp Merc that makes a weird noise after making long runs of 15-20 miles. When you come off of plane the engine is squeaking. The only thing I can compare it to is the sound of a loose belt on a car. I know there are no belts on the engine but that's the type of sound. If you shut the motor off for even 60 sec and start it back up the noise is gone. My guess is that it is the water pump is going bad. Any suggestions???

slowwake

Cadet
Re: Motor Noise 2000 90hp Merc

Fastmetal, after it starts to sqeak, check the pee-hole to make sure you have a steady stream of water coming out. If it's dripping out, it may be the water pump or a clogged exit line. I'm not sure though.

bryanredfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My new 2002 90 h.p. Mercury has done the same thing from time to time. I think it has something to do with the back wash when coming down from high speed. It only happens for about 20 seconds or so -- after the water settles, so does the whining sound. My water pump is fine, so I can only assume it has something to do with the air bubbles getting sucked into the system. I'm no mechanic, and am new at boating, so take it with a grain of salt. My service technician said my motor checks out perfectly.

Bob Kimber

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Fastmetal<br />I also have a 2000 90hp 2 stroke Mercury that had exactly the same noise, it was mainly noticeable between idle speed and 2000 rpm. Motor checks out ok plugs look normal, strong water flow at telltale 5psi at idle 12psi at WOT on water pressure gauge, thermostat ok no overheating, motor performance good.<br /><br />as you said it only happens after long runs, gone completely on restart,or running in test tank, dealer checked out during first scheduled servicing (20hrs) said they could not detect noise, I decided to troubleshoot myself, I remembered hearing similar noises on leaking inlet & exhaust manifolds on vehicles and suspected a possible air leak in fuel line.<br /><br />Found these problems <br /># primer bulb never got real firm, bulb had been installed in fuel line between filter/water separator unit and motor and was not priming properly because of air in filter.<br />#appeared to have a very small air leak between underfloor tanks and filter, this allowed air to slowly enter filter till fuel level in glass bowl dropped to be almost level with central fuel outlet in filter allowing some air to be sucked into carbs when motor was at lower rpm and lower fuel pump vacuum, at higher rpm the fuel pump operating at higher vacuum was able to suck fuel through without problems. <br /><br />Installed another primer bulb (used merc parts)before filter, drilled an airbleed hole through a suitable boss on top of filter and tapped thread and inserted an airbleed bolt to boss, now I can pump fuel into filter unit after filter change and bleed excess air from bleed screw on filter, replaced faulty fuel line clamp on entry line to filter. Primer bulb near motor now pumps up hard, no air bubbles in filter and with 3 long runs at 3/4 throttle (30 miles each)since this work, the noise has disappeared.<br /><br />This may not be your problem but it could be worth looking for possible air leaks between fuel pump and fuel tank or filter.