Motor modification

Medic2556

Cadet
I was told, and maybe I am wrong, but that you could use an engine from a car and place it in a boat. I am looking to put a motor from a Chevy Blazer into my 1989 Glasstream in place of the Mercruiser 120hp that is there already. Is this possible, or do I need to buy another Mercruiser engine?

wire2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Motor modification

If the bellhousing matches, you can do it.

From a safety standpoint you MUST use a marine alternator, starter, carb, fuel pump and distributor.

The frost plugs should be changed to brass.

The cam profile of the Chev engine will not be optimized for boating use.

Medic2556

Cadet

So it would be possible, but not practical, as it would probably blow since the cams would not be made to take the load then?

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer

The cams are not going to blow, but you can damage the engine as cars cams allow a significant overlap where the exhaust and inlet valves are both open at the same time, this can cause water to be sucked up the exhaust!!:eek: This is not a desirable feature on a boat engine.:D You need to slip a marine cam in and then you should be good to go. Wire2 didn't mention it, but you also need to change the thermostat housing.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

It won't blow, you will just not get the best all around performance from it.
A boat has to work much harder than a car to get up to speed.
You could put a marine spec cam in it if it turns out quite noticeable.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

The 2.5 or 3.0 Merc is a marine/industrial engine only.....
You will not find that particular engine in any automobile.....
You need to buy a GM marine engine....
A used Merc, Volvo or OMC will work, as they are all the same GM block.....;)

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

I'm guessing the Blazer has a 4.3 V6 and like Haut says...it's not a direct swap.

Medic2556

Cadet

I am not sure what size it is, but I know it was more than the 120. I was looking to upgrade the engine, but looks like it would be easier to find another Mercruiser engine. Thank you for all your replies.

Last edited:

180shabah

Rear Admiral

... I was looking to upgrade the engine, but looks like it would be easier to find another Mercruiser engine...

Or a different boat that already has/is set up for a V6 or V8. It will be cheaper and much easier in the long run.