Motor loading up

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a boat with a 470 motor. Ran it for a little to make sure it ran. It ran great. I pulled the motor and put it in my bigger boat that has twin 470s. The original motors in bigger boat have same motor but the only difference was the carbs. So I pulled the intake and carb off bad motor (4brl) had carb rebuilt and put on motor that replacement motor so both motors in boat had same carbs. The motor that I changed the intake/carbs seems like it loading up with fuel, like the choke is sticking. I know the chock isn't sticking. Can I advance or decrease timing to compensate since carbs are changed out or is it something I'm overlooking?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Motor loading up

I bought a boat with a 470 motor. Ran it for a little to make sure it ran. It ran great. I pulled the motor and put it in my bigger boat that has twin 470s. The original motors in bigger boat have same motor but the only difference was the carbs. So I pulled the intake and carb off bad motor (4brl) had carb rebuilt and put on motor that replacement motor so both motors in boat had same carbs. The motor that I changed the intake/carbs seems like it loading up with fuel, like the choke is sticking. I know the chock isn't sticking. Can I advance or decrease timing to compensate since carbs are changed out or is it something I'm overlooking?

Ayuh,.... If the carb's over fuelin',... Adjust the Carb, not the Timin',....

Maybe the floats are off, or Whatever, but fix the Problem, don't tryin' mask it,....

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,.... If the carb's over fuelin',... Adjust the Carb, not the Timin',....

Maybe the floats are off, or Whatever, but fix the Problem, don't tryin' mask it,....

I had carb rebuilt already. Could it still be bad. Wa
Hat would be next option? Thx

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Likely it wasn't done correctly. Float adjustment or something...