Motor just quit running??

Crispy

Cadet
We had been trolling much of the day with my Johnson fast strike 115hp two stroke. 1998. We were heading for the landing going around d45 m.p.h. and suddenly it just stopped. Nothing. It would not re-start. Just kept turning over. I have plenty of fuel, but no spark. I am beginning to trouble shoot. Any suggestions as to where to start.

Thanks.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Motor just quit running??

Disconnect the black-yellow kill wire to the power pack. If no spark, check sensor, charge coil, power pack, plus all associated wiring.You will need a service manual to know the proper value's.

Crispy

Cadet

Thank you Sir.
Need to get back on the river, fall feeding frenzy is just around the corner.

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class

i'd check under the flywheel for any sheared or damaged wires.

same thing happened to me, i had just replaced a bad stator, and a 1/2 mile away from the ramp, it quit. both leads from the stator were cut in half

Crispy

Cadet

R.Johnson
I just ordered the service manual for my engine. In the meantime I have located the blk/with yellow tracer conductor going into the power pack. I don't see how to isolate just that wire. It is connected with three other wires in a quick connect. What I did do was to disconnect the 4-wire quick connect and ohm just the blk/yellow wire and it ohmed 0 when I removed the safety lanyard device, no change. But when I disconnected the six pin quick connect at counsol I read infinity. Is that telling me I have a bad safety switch.

I still would like to know how to disconnect the black-yellow lead off the power pack w/o the other three wires, that way I would be sure to know if the kill switch is the problem.

Thanks,
Crispy

jonesg

Admiral

Remove sparkplugs...
disconnect the control harness from the binacle, see if spark returns.