Motor Height -- Prop Size ??

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a few things going on right now with my boat It's 17 ft 1989 cajun demon pro not sure how much it ways..I know I should but don't...anyway I have a 1991 70hp rude with a 13 1/4 X 17 aluminum on it, load includes 15 gal gas tank mounted far aft, 3 marine batteries triple bank charger oil tank also mounted far aft as they will go...i'm awaiting a tach(UPS has it) I'm looking for some information about proper height for my motor...currently the center of the prop shaft is 6 1/4 inches below the pad...does this seem like its mounted high????

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Motor Height -- Prop Size ??

View the pictire in the link below.<br />The anti ventilation plate (bottom red line) should line up with or be just above the bottom of the hull.<br />That is your starting point.<br />The motor gets raised from that point, depending on handling and performance issues, hull design, jackplate, etc..<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/ref/shaft_length.html

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well my anti cavitation plate is a little over one inch above bottom of hull. does then mean it needs to go down?

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

runboat and see how it preforms if prop is catching air you may have to lower motor if its not and creating a spray you may have to raise lake test the best way to be sure

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

If it's Ventilating, we install a more suitable prop....never lower the engine unless you have tested the high-end props and still have ventilation. We can work a prop or buy another, either of which will allow a higher X-dimension

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

as soon as i get all the stuff back together and have new tach installed i'll be able to provide better information to myself as well to the experts on this board.....<br /><br />what a great site....i would be paying many dollars in maint. and repairs if it weren't for this site...<br /><br />thanks to all that make this site work...including all of us...