Motor has no power under load

Hambone1983

Cadet
Mercury 115 1995 2 Stroke Had mechanic adjust all my cables, and it runs great out of the water but in the water it just has no power Any help

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
What problems were you having before the carb adjustment? How is it running? What are your RPMs? When will you be taking back to this mechanic to tell him about the new problem?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It just sounds great out of the water.----They all sound great.----Post compression numbers .---Check for spark.

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
There are so many unanswered questions here. What was the reason for having someone adjust the cables? What was the motor running like before the adjustment? Was this a marine mechanic, or someone that repairs lawnmowers? If the guy didn't know what he was doing, he could have messed up the timing or messed up the throttle adjustment so that the carbs aren't opening all the way. If he's a marine mechanic, take it back and tell him he messed it up. I can't think of a time when I have ever needed to have my cables adjusted. I simply don't understand what's going on here.

Hambone1983

Cadet
Going to
What problems were you having before the carb adjustment? How is it running? What are your RPMs? When will you be taking back to this mechanic to tell him about the new problem?
Meet at the lake and not sure on RPM's and ran the same after the adjustment

Hambone1983

Cadet
There are so many unanswered questions here. What was the reason for having someone adjust the cables? What was the motor running like before the adjustment? Was this a marine mechanic, or someone that repairs lawnmowers? If the guy didn't know what he was doing, he could have messed up the timing or messed up the throttle adjustment so that the carbs aren't opening all the way. If he's a marine mechanic, take it back and tell him he messed it up. I can't think of a time when I have ever needed to have my cables adjusted. I simply don't understand what's going on here.

Hambone1983

Cadet
Yes Marine mechanic it was running petty good out of water but did have a miss and yes the cables were not adjusted correctly.I just got the boat 2nd time I didn't test drive one and I got robbed

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Are the linkages all connected? Link and sync correct? That is a 2+2 motor was the mechanic familiar with them.

Hambone1983

Cadet
It just sounds great out of the water.----They all sound great.----Post compression numbers .---Check for spark.
It did have a bad plug at first but it's fixed all cables are done right and it I don't have a working RPM garage but it well Rev up till the rev sensor stops it but in the water sou nds like maybe 2000 RPM by the sound I have had 6 boats this is may 7th. Could it be the dog clutch??

Hambone1983

Cadet
It did have a bad plug at first but it's fixed all cables are done right and it I don't have a working RPM garage but it well Rev up till the rev sensor stops it but in the water sou nds like maybe 2000 RPM by the sound I have had 6 boats this is may 7th. Could it be the dog clutch??
Sorry. psi 150 on all 4 Cylinders

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
What Rev sensor? Any over Rev protection on that motor would kick in at around 5300 rpm. Get a factory manual and read it front to back. Or find a dealer familiar with the 2+2 motor. Dog clutch has nothing to do with your problem. Get a manual

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I don't believe those motors have a rev limiter. It does automatically retard the timing a little at high rpm. Not sure if that is meant to limit revs. Mine revs past 6K.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I don't believe those motors have a rev limiter. It does automatically retard the timing a little at high rpm. Not sure if that is meant to limit revs. Mine revs past 6K.
What motor do you have? A 2+2 will has a propensity to break piston skirts above 5500. And yes they did come with Rev limiters.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What motor do you have? A 2+2 will has a propensity to break piston skirts above 5500. And yes they did come with Rev limiters.
I have a 1988 100 hp (upgraded to a 115). The motor always reved up like that. I was told by the dealer not to run it at that rpm so I never hold it there. There is no rev limiter mentioned in the factory manual. Perhaps it was added to later models? I never heard of piston skirts breaking on these I but have heard of crankshafts breaking if reved too high.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral

By the way if
I don't believe those motors have a rev limiter. It does automatically retard the timing a little at high rpm. Not sure if that is meant to limit revs. Mine revs past 6
That is a rev limiter

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I agree with Scott regarding these Motors grenading when overrevved even a bit.