motor died, towed in

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i was out today, runnin my merc 50 up the channel and back, when it seemed to be running fine one second, and died like it was outta gas or something asecond later.. i changed tanks thinkin i had run out, but still wouldnt start, then i noticed the first tank wasnt empty..i tried with no luck to restart for like 30 minutes, and nothing.. not evena sputter.. so i getn towed in..

then tonite i go outside, and it started right up, like nothing happened?!

wtf? it was warm today, but not as bad as days before.. any ideas what to look at?

thanks

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: motor died, towed in

Couple of thoughts: Vapor lock or ignition coil. Don't know the year of your 50. Don't know if it has the single ign coil or CDI system (with multiple coils). If multiple pulse pack CDI system, if one dies the other(s) will keep the engine running. With one coil, if it dies your engine is dead. My experience with bad coils on different types of engines is that if it is going to fail it will be when hot. I ought to know the failure mechanism. I have theories, but never dissected one to verify the theory. Doesn't matter; I don't have them any more and don't have to worry about it...diesels and CDI engines now.

On vapor lock, if you squeezed the primer bulb when you changed tanks you should have overcome the vapor lock, if that was the problem. If a fuel pump problem, you would still have it when you started it up later at home and it probably wouldn't have started.

My 2c and no xpert.

Mark

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

your suggestions line up with what i was thinkin.. it is a 82, and has 4 coils... i was by myself, and had no one to turn the key while i check for spark, so i am not sure if had spark or not, obviously it does now, or it wouldnt have restarted..

i agree with u, that if it wasnt gettin gas then, it probably wouldnt start now.. but not 100% on that?? the bulb was still hard when i changed the tanks, so i dont think it lost prime.. there was still a gallon in the emptyish thank..

thanks again for any suggestions..

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Interesting comment that the bulb was still firm when changing tanks. Did you change tanks at the engine (separate fuel lines) or at the tanks (common fuel line)? If at the tank, you may have a bad primer bulb in the fuel line that is blocking the fuel flow to the engine....this could support the firm feel when the engine just died from either lack of fuel or spark. Also, with the engine running and consuming gas, the bulb would not be tight; it would have some resistance to it but not tight. If tight it supports my hypothesis.

Not familiar with your engine, but if you have 4 coils, you probably have at least 2 complete ignition systems, including spark origination which to me omits spark as a possible cause for a complete engine shut down.

Mark

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Interesting comment that the bulb was still firm when changing tanks. Did you change tanks at the engine (separate fuel lines) or at the tanks (common fuel line)? If at the tank, you may have a bad primer bulb in the fuel line that is blocking the fuel flow to the engine....this could support the firm feel when the engine just died from either lack of fuel or spark. Also, with the engine running and consuming gas, the bulb would not be tight; it would have some resistance to it but not tight. If tight it supports my hypothesis.

Not familiar with your engine, but if you have 4 coils, you probably have at least 2 complete ignition systems, including spark origination which to me omits spark as a possible cause for a complete engine shut down.

Mark

common line, seperate tanks..

the bulb wasn't really hard per se, just not at all empty like when i run out of fuel.. i guess i am not sure, it did seem harder then normal? possibly? but i was pumping on it too, sooo.. didnt scream wrong to me though (what do i know)

interestingly though, when i started it last night, i didnt even put tanks on it, it started (nearly instantly) with the gas that was in the carbs, and line.. no tank at all.. i didnt expect it to start, so i didnt put them on..

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

been a busy week, i finally got a new fuel bulb/line from here on iboats, and installed it yesterday, new fittings on the tanks and everything..

i took it to the river and it started for a few seconds, died..

i tried to start it allot.. no dice..

i pulled it out of the water.. and i removed the fuel line from the tank.. just for tricks, i tried to start it with no tank.. after a few seconds of cranking, it sputtered.. i tried again it started.. so i quickly shut it down, reconnected the fuel line, and and backed it in the water.. it wouldnt start at all.. i disconnect the fuel line and it tried,. and it sputtered some...

it seems that when the tanks are hooked up, it wont run.. with them disconnected, it at least tries to run?

huh??

any ideas?

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

This might be a shot in the dark but I had a simular prob. I removed the quick disconnects from the fuel tank and put a 3/8 barb and then the fuel line and it ran.Another problem I ran into I had the plastic type 6 gallon tanks, was that when I didnt open the vent the tank would suck itself in when sitting for a week.When I would open the tank vent it would come back to its original state but the plastic piece of hose inside to suck up gas was kinked so I wasnt getting enough fuel delivery

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've run into this before. There is a spring ball in the fitting on your engine if it fails, and I don't know why, it restricts fuel flow. Same here, my02 and no expert.

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well, i replaced all the fittings, and the hose, and tried different tanks.. i have finally given up, and i dropped it off at a mechanic this morning.. they are at least a week backlogged, so i dont expect to get it back quick, but i didnt know what else to try.. : (

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You did replace the fitting inside the cowling?