Motor cuts when I hit trim...

Rickfifty

Seaman
I have an '88 18' I/O w/4.3 OMC Cobra. Always ran great until last week. It would bog on acceleration pulling a skier so I tried some WOT runs. It would cut out, miss, intermitently. But every time I hit the trim button it would instantly cut out for a moment. Any ideas?

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Motor cuts when I hit trim...

I'd check for loose/corroded battery or alternator connections. You may also want to verify the battery as it may not be keeping it's charge or could be discharged from a faulty alternator.

Rickfifty

Seaman

Cobra, thanks for the quick reply. I used a battery load tester to check alt. output. Battery is good, alternator is just borderline good/weak. Is that bad enough to cause misfire at high RPM and an abrupt jolt when I hit the trim?

Rickfifty

Seaman

Cobra, thanks for the quick reply. I used a battery load tester to check alt. output. Battery is good, alternator is just borderline good/weak. Is that bad enough to cause misfire at high RPM and an abrupt jolt when I hit the trim?

tommays

Admiral

if the trim motor has a problem it can draw enough current to cause the motor to lose spark while it is on<br /><br />it is a very common problem and is posted about quite a bit<br /><br />to fix you need to go through and check if it has a bad connection or the motor is failing and drawing to much current<br /><br />if you connect a meter to you battery you can see how low the voltage is going when the trim is being used<br /><br />tommays

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

Find your friendly OMC dealer, ask him to show you the service bulletin specificly about your problem!!! Buy him a six-pack for saving you all thazt time NOT looking for the needle in that haystack!!

DHPMARINE

Captain

P.V. I must be missing that bulletin.All I see online is the one about thelower unit bearing carrier retainers.Can you elaborate?<br />DHP<br />wanting the six pack?

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I just got in and don't have the specific # but it goes like this.... If I remember correctly.... cut 22" off of the resistor wire (located in the wiring harness between the coil and dist. "+" terminal), use the "new" up-dated brkr pts and condensor, use the "high performance" ignition coil, use the "new" spark plugs. In that order, untill the problem ceases... Cutting the resistor wire usually is all that needs to be done!

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

HEY!!!!!! How come my two previous post STILL have the same # of posts listed???? How am I EVER gunna be Admiral????? Let's see what this post is listed at!!! Who do I gotta Keel-haul anyway???? I've seen some people who have "billions" of posts! Can this be correct????

DHPMARINE

Captain

Thanks P.V.<br /><br />I don't doubt your post,it sounds familiar.I just can't find it.Cutting the resistor wire rings a bell,though.<br />DHP