MOTOR CHOICE?

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking at turning a 19' Bayliner bowrider into a fishing machine. My friend doing the work has offered me the following engine choices to go with it.<br /> 1995 Yamaha 90HP<br /> 1990 Yamaha 115HP<br /> 1989 Force 125HP<br /><br />I also use the boat parttime for skiing and tubing so I need takeoff power as well. The 90HP is like brand new but the boat is rated for 140hp and I think this would be underpowered. I am not sure about the 115HP as it is going to be rebuilt and the Force is in excellent shape, but I heard that it's HP rating is done at the powerhead whereas the Yamahas are taken at the prop. Plus I see lots of repair questions on the Force. I could also pick up a 100HP Mercury with one of those outboard plates but the cost is prohibitive $3400. cdn.<br />Any suggestions?

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: MOTOR CHOICE?

no force. go with the yammy 115 or second choice would be the yammy 90....., use the 90 while the 115 gets its work done.... <br /><br />but no force

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any ideas on the speed I could expect from the Yamahas? I was hoping to get 45 - 50mph top end but another friend of mine with a 19' aluminum and 135HP merc. only gets 42 mph.

red10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

your gonna need 150-200 ponies to get that beast going 50 or a magical propeller.

LubeDude

Admiral

You only have two choices, and neither of them is going to give you the performance you desire, Im not even sure a 150 would put you where you want to be with that boat. 40-45 MPH maybe.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've go a Merc 125 on my 19ft Fish and Ski and can<br />get 47 mph top speed with only me aboard but with bow troller and three batteries aboard. That's with a SS prop in ideal conditions. With the wife and kids on a busy lake 43-44 is tops. Plenty fast for watersports though. The 115 yammie is the only one I would consider for your situation although the 90 would be my first choice if you were primarily going to fish. You could still ski and tube with no problem. I doubt you'd be skiing at 40 mph anyway so the top speed is the onlything holding you down. I assume you're not going to tournament fish so top speed is more of an ego thing. STAY AWAY from the Force!!

Forktail

Ensign

If the rebuild is done properly, then there's no question...the Yamaha 115.

D

DJ

There is a HUGE difference between the 90 and 115 Yamaha's.<br /><br />The 115 has a far greater displacement and one more cylinder.<br /><br />I've run both Yam's. There is NO comparison between the 90 and the 115. The difference is much greater than what one would think 25 horses would do.<br /><br />The FOrce would not enter my thought process.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

NOT the Force. Assuming it's in good condition, I'd go with the 115 Yamaha.

mrtool2u

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 19 foot Spectrum aluminum,just took off a 1986 Johnny 90hp (approx 37 mpg),went with a 1993 Johnny 120,was hoping like hell for about 48 mph,,but ended up with about 42 to 44.I have done very little testing with props yet,I am hoping the Ballistic prop will be a sort of magical prop,,,,I need to outrun my loudmouth brother,around 45mph.I think that the doel fin that I took off might of gave a mile or 2 more,but like I said,very little experiment time.Good luck,and post results back,i am curious to see what you get for speed.

Old Jarhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmmmm...<br /><br />Seems to me a Force O/B would be a great engine for a Bayliner. Add a Tragic Tilt trailer and you've got the perfect package. :D :D :D

boatin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How about a 5th option? I have a Force 50 that you can have for nada. needs a slight rebuild

Mercathode

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Force would make a great anchor....no no forget that...the Force would be great for nothing. Force outboards no bueno!

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Trade them all for something white, i have a 16' with a 6'8" beam and do 44 with a 70 Johnson with 4 people and all gear.

jfholijr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey boatin, I live in Mobile AL and might be interested in taking the force 50 hrs from you. Let me know.<br /><br />John