Motor Capacity on a 1990 Maxum????

I'm looking at a 1990 Maxum that has a 90 horse Merc on it. The owner says it is 17' and rated for a 90 but the capacity plate is gone so I can't tell.

Some of the things I have looked up suggest that there wasn't even a 17' model made by Maxum in 1990. Other similar model years around it, and knowledgeable boat people have told me that it would only be rated for an 85 horse.

Anyone with experience / ownership with Maxum have the info for me? I am pretty skeptical that my findings as well as what I have heard say 85 horse and the capacity plate just happens to be gone as well.

Thanks much!!

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Motor Capacity on a 1990 Maxum????

115 to 135 horsepower is pretty much standard on 19 foot bowriders from my experience...so a 90 hp on a 17 footer seems perfectly reasonable. Contact Brunswick for exact info on your boat. They were the parent company when they put Maxum on the chopping block.

Edit: I just looked at the current Bayliner offerings online...a 17 foot bowrider comes standard with a 90 horse engine.

Hope that helps!

BTW...85 or 90 horse does not matter in the slightest! A measly 5 horsepower is splitting hairs on a boat.

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Motor Capacity on a 1990 Maxum????

If it was a 1989, it would be rated for 85.

Looks like the 1990 models were rated for 90.

close enough.