Most interesting real estate deal

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Two weeks ago, my partner (in my title insurance business) closed a complicated transaction. The contract between the sellers (two older wealthy gentlemen) was selling inherited multiple acres of land to a development company. The land was raw ground.

The development business around here is quite brisk, and land values are escalting rapidly.

The contract is about two years old, it has many addendums extending the closing date which was pending for re-zoning of the ground. On one of the addendums, the sellers agreed that numerious shares of water would be included in the sales price, and some of the water could be purchased for $2,500.00 a share if the buyer wanted them.

The last addendum dated sometime in August '06 extended the contract to 12-30-2006. The sellers then decided to delay the closing for tax purposes until Jan 17, '07. They (I suppose the buyers) created an addendum to extend the contract, but never bothered to get it signed.

Well, my partner closed the deal a couple weeks ago, by this time the file had grown into a morass. He misread the language about the water, and charged the buyer for all the shares of water, the buyers had decided they wanted all of them. The closing statement charged the buyer about $185,000 for the water when it should have been $60,000. When the statements were sent out for review, both the buyer and the sellers did not catch the mistake.

Monday, this week, My partner got a call from the buyer saying they were reviewing the contract, and that they were over chargerd for the land and water. The total sales price was over $4,000,000.00. Well my partner was leaving for Hawaii later that day. He called the seller to discuss the problem then left for the islands, promissing me that he thought he could get it worked out over the phone.

Well, and you can guess, (if your still reading this bible) no such luck.

The buyers set a meeting today with the sellers at my office. I was only aware of the deal when the problem was discovered.

At the meeting, the buyers addressed the sellers about getting their money back for the overpaid water. The sellers response was classic. He acknowledged the facts, but said it didn't matter because the contract was void. He said the closng didn't occur on or before the 30th of December. He said the closing statements represented the new contract and more or less said go to he!!.

In Utah escrow matters are under my underwriter, and I will have to place a claim for the buyers.

I am sitting here tonight wondering what the he!! happened to honesty in todays society.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should do other than call my atty in the morning?

Spud

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Most interesting real estate deal

Well, I can see that things are done a bit differently in Utah, than in WI.
And I would have to ask to whom, if anyone, you have a fiduciary obligation to?

If all you (your company) did was to write the contracts and present them to the principles for their use, then where did you err?

Did they not have agents or lawyers to review the contracts?
Deficiency on their part, not yours.

I think (hope) you will be ok on this.
The sellers are rosy, got their tax advantage AND $125k bonus.
The buyers screwed up and paid 3% more than they thought they were going to. Ooops.

Worst case scenario, your errors and omissions should cover it, but I think the sellers position is strong, and unless you have a fiduciary responsibility to the buyer, you should be in the clear.

This is very interesting stuff, please keep us posted as the case progresses.

PW2

Commander

>quote
At the meeting, the buyers addressed the sellers about getting their money back for the overpaid water. The sellers response was classic. He acknowledged the facts, but said it didn't matter because the contract was void. He said the closng didn't occur on or before the 30th of December. He said the closing statements represented the new contract and more or less said go to he!!.

In Utah escrow matters are under my underwriter, and I will have to place a claim for the buyers.

I am sitting here tonight wondering what the he!! happened to honesty in todays society.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should do other than call my atty in the morning?
>quote off

That's why we need courts, I am afraid.

And I might think about getting a different attorney to review this. I am assuming attorney's were involved in the first place, and there may be cause for a malpractice claim against one or more of the original attorneys.

rwise

Captain

Hmmmm, expired contract, payment made, sounds like the buyer is up sh!t creek without a padle! An attorney may be able to toss them a rope but thats going to add up fast. Hope my land deal this month goes better than this one did, well for the buyer anyway, sounds sweet for the seller. All should have read, understood and signed the NEW contract.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I take it that you are concerned that your firm is next in line for the buyers to seek compensation for the overpayment. As the writer of the contract, that would be logical. Hire an attorney.

Make sure the trip to Hawaii doesn't become an extended vacation. ;)

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

In Utah, Realtors write the contracts, not me. The buyers are realtors. Atty's are invited to attend closings, and somtime's do. If an atty attends it is not mine, it would be the buyers or sellers.

Yes, Willy your right, I am the recourse for the cash. The buyers are very good clients and I want to help them.

My fiduciary responsibility is to both sides.

I often wonder why I do this business, it can be very frustrating.

My little bro is my underwriter, he and I have a meeting this morning to get things rolling, and solve the problem for the buyer, I am afraid the older gentlemen are in for a bit of a law suit, colud be a case law setting suit. Being expired contract with a verbal extension.

wish me luck

Spud

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

A bit confused her, please explain.

You didn't write the contract.
You didn't approve the contract.
Your job is to issue an insurance policy that provides clean title to the property, for the buyers.

So explain 2 things.
1- How do you become responsible for any content of the contract?

2- How is it legally possible to have a fiduciary responsibility to two different opposed parties? You are paid by the buyer, correct?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If the buyers were to sue their own lawyers for not catching this, they would lose.
Your position is the same as theirs.

Take the judge to dinner next week. Hopefully he will exclude you from the case before your legal bills add up too high. 8)