Morse to Evinrude shift controls

Oregon Jon

Seaman
I have a 15' 71 Marlin boat with two 71 Evinrude 18s and an older Morse dual control box. The cables are pretty worn (cracked in spots) and they seem to be too long for the application. There is at least 2 feet of cable arched around and held down by screw clamps on the transom well for each of the throttle cables. Should they be replaced or can they be repaired? Should they be shorter and can they be shortened by a novice like me? If they do need replaced what cables / length should I order? Any help is greatly appreciated.:confused:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Morse to Evinrude shift controls

morse was bought by teleflex. go to teleflex.com. marine, controls, instructions. there is a measurement guide. the cables are available thru the iboat marine store.

Oregon Jon

Seaman

I wasn't able to find a measurement guide, just a PDF data sheet on their TFXtreme cables. Teleflex list the product nember for Evinrude cables as a 636, but the iboat page lists a 400 series and the picture on iboats doesn't show the cable ends. Would I need to purchase the ends separately? Sorry to be so ignorant here... :confused:

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

The cables you need are Teleflex Type 400 P/N CC170xx where xx is the length in feet. If you need 12 foot cables, for instance, order CC17012. The ends do not come with the cables, so keep the ends off your old ones.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the pdf says add 4 feet i usually only add 3 feet.

Oregon Jon

Seaman

Once again, thanks to all. That PDF was especially helpful.