More speed out of a 1988 Bayliner Trophy?

Frozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Currently only hitting 32mph on my boat at 4000rpm at WOT. I can not get the 4800rpm WOT rating. What should I do? I would love to get 40mph out of this boat. Do I have a wrong prop? Is that causing me to not hit WOT rpm? Also the boat is a really sloppy handler backing up. What should I try?

Thanks guys.

RZR2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: More speed out of a 1988 Bayliner Trophy?

What motor and prop do you have?

NYBo

Admiral

Sounds like the motor isn't putting out full power.

NYBo

Admiral

Why do you say that? And what can I do about it?
your prop is about right, so you should be able to hit 4600 RPM at WOT (that's what manual has as the recommended maximum RPM, not 4800). Bad gas could do this, or problems with the engine. Of course, if the boat is loaded down with hundreds of pounds of waterlogged foam, that will cause problems too.

Start with the basics: spark plugs (do a compression test while you have them out), distributor cap and rotor, carb cleaning or rebuild.

Frozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

your prop is about right, so you should be able to hit 4600 RPM at WOT (that's what manual has as the recommended maximum RPM, not 4800). Bad gas could do this, or problems with the engine. Of course, if the boat is loaded down with hundreds of pounds of waterlogged foam, that will cause problems too.

Start with the basics: spark plugs (do a compression test while you have them out), distributor cap and rotor, carb cleaning or rebuild.

Ok thanks for the info.
I just put 50gals on new gas in so I don't think it's that. At least it better not be!
And no water was in the hull and the foam was dry as of last week, but anything is possible. I'll check the foam.

I'll check the plugs and do a compression check. And go from there.

Thanks for the help!