more speed at what pitch?

dennisrhall

Seaman
i have a 15 ft mfg 1975 runabout with a 65 hp merc, my question is the motor tilt, which hole from back to front will give me more speed? i hope you can uderstand this question.. thanks in advance......

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: more speed at what pitch?

Hi Dennis,<br /> Every boat is different so you'll probably have to find out for yourself. The downside of this is that you'll have to go for several boat rides to test each pinhole position out. I hate that!! :) In all seriousness, MOST boats are happiest with the motor dead on even or with just a little bit of positive (outwards) trim. This all can vary due to load conditions, type of propeller, water conditions, weight of boat, condition of hull, etc. - which is why it's best to test it out yourself...<br /> Have fun!<br />- Scott

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: more speed at what pitch?

Chinewalker is right, trial and error.<br /><br />This can sometimes be a fine line. You will get the best holeshot with the engine tucked in. You will increase your WOT performance with the engine trimmed out some. It depends what you want. Once you find out how the boat performs with the different settings, depending on what you are going to do that day, you can make the adjustments before you launch. If you are going to be towing skiers or tubes you will want the pin in the hole closest to the transome.