More rpm with exhaust change

Yukonmuscle

Seaman
I changed the exhaust over from through prop to side exit last week as a first step in a performance upgrade for my boat. The plan is 383 with high flow aluminum cylinder heads and a good flowing exhaust that I have all winter to find a good deal on. Currently have a 5.0 with 162 ratio alpha pushing my boat to 52mph gps at 4800-4900 with a strong holeshot. Not too bad with a $99 dollar 21 pitch aluminum prop.
Just wanted to let everyone know my results of the exhaust change over. Before I couldn't turn my 21p past 4600. with just the exhaust swap I am now hitting 4800-4900 and can hit the rev limiter at 4950 with the slightest trim adjustment after max speed is reached.
I'm happy with the results, I made my own tips and mufflers, bought hardwall exhaust hose from a local marina and "y" pipe plugs from home depot. It sounds amazing! Not too loud, the mufflers I made do a decent of quieting it down to a rumble from a roar

Yukonmuscle

Seaman
Re: More rpm with exhaust change

No pics of when they were being built. I took a 4"alum pipe 10" long and 4, 1/4" inch thick, 4" round discs. Drilled 6 lg holes in each disc and ground a flat edge in a different spot into each disc. I welded each disc on a slightly diff angle keeping all four discs ground areas at the bottom to allow slow/ built up water a free path to follow down to the tip. I ran the boat no mufflers and then with mufflers during testing and there was quite a decent sound reduction with this setup and very little water restriction

Yukonmuscle

Seaman
Re: More rpm with exhaust change

06FB2ADD_zps255464b5.jpg