More questions on 90hp I-6

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It is a 1979 model if anyone is curious of that. But my questions transcend year models I believe.

One of the PTT hoses came loose from the fitting. Its going to need new hoses. It is the one with 4 hoses and the pump/motor sits inside the boat.

Question is, it does not seem to have a reverse lock of any kind on the leg that would lock into the trim pin. Is there a way around this? Has anyone ever rigged something up before?

Also, when underway the boat wants to go right. So does that mean I adjust the trim tab to the right? The back end of the tab that is? Can someone point me in the right direction of that issue.

Last but not least. She had a hard time starting at first, till I remembered that I forgot to prime her. Then she ran great. On occasion she acted like she starved for fuel. But nothing regular. I ran her a couple of times, each time she started back up when shut off real easy. The last time I went to start her she had been sitting for a little while. When she did not start right up I figured I would choke her a little, she likes that when she is cold, but it did not seem to help any this time.

I cranked and cranked, she acted like she was going to for a minuet, enough to throw the bendix out, but never took off. It just seems odd, I cant tell if it was a flooding issue or a lack of fuel issue. The primer bulb was hard as a rock so I am going to venture to say it was not a starvation issue. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks guys. The manual tilt/trim is what I am most curious about, and the trim tab adjustment.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: More questions on 90hp I-6

It is a 1979 model if anyone is curious of that. But my questions transcend year models I believe.

One of the PTT hoses came loose from the fitting. Its going to need new hoses. It is the one with 4 hoses and the pump/motor sits inside the boat.

Question is, it does not seem to have a reverse lock of any kind on the leg that would lock into the trim pin. Is there a way around this? Has anyone ever rigged something up before?
I believe the PTT is your reverse lock. If you have engaged the manual release then you have no reverse lock at all. You would have to put the pin through the holes to lock it.
Also, when underway the boat wants to go right. So does that mean I adjust the trim tab to the right? The back end of the tab that is? Can someone point me in the right direction of that issue.
Correct.
Last but not least. She had a hard time starting at first, till I remembered that I forgot to prime her. Then she ran great. On occasion she acted like she starved for fuel. But nothing regular. I ran her a couple of times, each time she started back up when shut off real easy. The last time I went to start her she had been sitting for a little while. When she did not start right up I figured I would choke her a little, she likes that when she is cold, but it did not seem to help any this time.

I cranked and cranked, she acted like she was going to for a minuet, enough to throw the bendix out, but never took off. It just seems odd, I cant tell if it was a flooding issue or a lack of fuel issue. The primer bulb was hard as a rock so I am going to venture to say it was not a starvation issue. Any thoughts on this?
Are you talking about your motor or your girlfriend? ;)
Don't spare the choke on a cold engine. On mine when it's cold, I prime till hard, give some throttle in neutral. Engage the starter and then hold the choke in till it fires. It never fails when I do it that way.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Check Crowleymarine.com for those hoses. I do not know if they are avail. The PTT system has a build in lock-down function, for reverse. if your motor kicks up in reverse, make sure the reverse lock is engaged. The release is on the control valve under the PTT resevoir.

Adjust the zinc anode to balance the steering. Turn it right to compensate for the right hand prop torque.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have spent more time with her than my wife for the last two months. lol, my wife thinks she is my girlfriend.

Thanks for the info guys. So don't spare the choke on a cold engine, but on one that has been run in the last 30 mins is it possible to flood by choking?

So now it comes down to the tilt/trim. I will work out the starting issue when I get home. But I am not sure I am going to find the hoses for the pump, well not for the price I am willing to pay. Crowley's got them, at $273 I can be a lazy man. Ouch. I tried going to a local hydraulic shop but they said they didn't have those types of fittings. I will pursue it more later, but for now I am wondering if there is anything I can do to make it "usable".

So with the PTT system off, as if it was not even there, would I just stick that trim stop rod that is on the bracket with all the holes in through the leg of the motor and back out the other side of the bracket?

I know that this would limit the usefulness of raising and lowering the motor for shallow water operation, but is there something intrinsically dangerous about using the motor this way for just motoring around?

Thanks again guys.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Or would it be best to find something that would "snap" over the rod and hold the motor down, thus allowing me to raise and lower by just lifting on the "hooks" that are holding it in place.

I know what I am contemplating is not near idea, and am going to find it very difficult compared to PTT, but my boy loved riding in it last night and it is going to be a long time before I can get the funds to get replacement hoses.

We are not fast boaters so running aground and stuff I am not concerned with the motor dragging. We would be fishing deep enough water that it is not going to be dragging the ground and the ramp where we launch is deep with a dock for loading/unloading.

Let me know your thoughts, ideas, comments. There will be no hurt feelings here.