More questions...89 225 evinrude

bilgeboy

Cadet
Thanks to all for the earlier thoughts, I could use a few more.

To recap...a new to me 89 225, has the nose cone water intake. It hadn't been used for a couple of years, but was obviously well maintained by a loving boat owner. Stored properly from the sounds of it.

First test run, started right up without choke and in neutral position, but quickly over heated and low power (no better than 2500 rpm). No water from tell-tale.

Compression checked out about 90 in all cylinders +/- 2-3 psi. Sparking on all 6, although I did not perform the 1/4" spark jump test that I read about hear.

I dropped the LU and replaced the impeller. Two new thermostats.

2nd test run, very hard starting. I had learned about the push in choke by then, and I tried it. It took many (30 tries) to get it going. I ran it for 15 minutes at idle and up and down a bit in neutral. Good steady water output from the tell-tale, but still approached "white zone" on the temp guage. I shut it off, and would not restart. The starting gear would seem to drop off the flywheel before I would get even a sputter, lots of strange noises. Ran out of time, went home.

Lots of advice to rebuild the carbs from this forum in a boat that sat for a couple of years, and I thought this was reasonable.

Rebuilt all 6 carbs, cleaned orifices, etc. By the advice of my local evinrude guy, I disconnected the wiring harness to the VRO pump, drained the tank and added new gas and oil. Changed all fuel filters. I could hear the float bowls filling nicely. Brand spanking new battery.

Last test, I tried to start with a little throttle and held choke in for 5 seconds. Very hard starting, would smoke like crazy out of the air intakes after each attempt. I put the throttle in neutral, and stopped choking it. Eventually got it going. LOTS of smoke for a couple of minutes. Really...alot. This cleared up nicely though, idled nicely. Temps climbed right up to the "hot zone" when I goosed the throttle a bit, but this came back down and seemed to stay there. I figured we could slide off the trailer for a little test run.

No power in reverse. Idle speeds only. We goosed the throttle and for the first time since I've owned the boat ( about a month now ) got up on plane and had some fun. At around 4,000 RPM steady alarm would sound, stop quickly when I throttled her back a bit. Throttled back up, got the alarm. The water temp actually was at the lowest I had seen, I think the nose cone set-up likes the speed. Anyway, I ran out of time, and headed back.

The issues...

1- starter gear drops off flywheel prematurely, before even a sputter.
2- hard starting...I think it doesn't like choking...lots of smoke after starting
3- no power in reverse
4- alarm at high speed with cool water temps...VRO is disconnected.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and all thoughts are welcome. I'm learning alot here...just not enough yet!

Mike

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: More questions...89 225 evinrude

1- A couple of possibilities but lets start with the basics -- what spark plugs are you using?

2- Again, basics. What spark plugs?

3- No power in reverse but OK in forward, look at the throttle cable advance when in reverse.

4- Sounds like a fuel restriction. Check everything from the vent on the tank thru the complete delivery system to the fuel pump.

Those motors do run hotter at idle, that's normal. If you changed only the impeller, it might be a good idea to go back and replace the liners in the housing.

bilgeboy

Cadet

Great, thanks.

I've read and heard that a fuel restriction can sound the alarm.

I was waiting for a response before heading down to the boat today, been checking in since 5:30! I will pull a plug and check the numbers today.

I did do the complete "pump kit" change, sorry for the lack of detail there.

I'll get back to the page this afternoon.

Very greatful,

Mike

BF

Lieutenant

I have a merc V6 that is very hard (or impossible) to cold start if you have the engine tilted up much. For whatever reason the float angle or whatever it never gets enough fuel to fire. Even with choke. Once it's started, or if it's a warm start, it can be tilted up high.

But, for cold starts (like when sitting on the trailer), it needs to be tilted down almost to level.

I don't know if yours could be similarly tempermental, but it's a thought.

The "no power' in reverse thing also has me thinking that someone has monkeyied with the cable adjustments. Maybe that affects the throttle position (timing) in neurtal and fwd too and is part of the issue (?).

Is this a freshwater motor, or salt? The water passages in the motor can get clogged up with corrosion, and cause overheating. Maybe it gets just enough flow to keep things cool at lower rpms.

The lots of smoke after starting might be normal, but then again, I'm used to a merc V6 which are notoriously smokie (and certainly mine is at start up).

good luck.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I believe that your motor has QuickStart, which automatically advances the timing on a cold start. Using the starting procedure you describe disables the quick start system.

One of the problems with cooling had to do with corrosion forming between the Thermostat and the seat.

A one piece seal, part #336416 was suggested.

bilgeboy

Cadet

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

I made it down to the boat, pulled a plug.

I have NGK BR9HS

I stopped by my local repair shop, good guys there. Agreed with you, BF, about the cable adjustment. I didn't get around to that. He also said a common reason for the alarm at high speed is a fuel restriction, suggested I pull the fuel feed from the tank, as either a filter or check valve in there can get crudded up.

So I pulled the tank feed. No check valve installed, but there was a big glob of solder mostly blocking the passage from where somebody soldered the tank pick-up to the bronze elbow. I drilled the solder out and got her nice and cleaned out.

Unfortunately, when I was reattaching the hose back to the elbow, I cracked the fitting on the hose. Didn't have the "gas flange" fitting with a hose barb at the local marine store, and I tried to figure something out from the plumbing supply, but it didn't work out, so I didn't get to take her for another test run today. Not sure how soon I can get back down there. What are those flanged fittings with the integral ( but "loose" ) hose barbs called? I need one.

Appreciate all the help and comments.

Mike

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK, before you run it let's get the right plugs in it. Otherwise we may be looking up part numbers for some pretty expensive stuff. I'd recommend the QL77JC4's. I run them in mine (1990 200, same thing as yours) and they are just fine. Just make sure to use fresh 87 octane only.

bilgeboy

Cadet

Alright!

I trust your judgement...by looks of things around here, I'd be foolish not to.

I'll pick up some plugs today, not sure when I can test the engine again, but I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks,

Mike

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Has that engine an after market nose cone, OMC did not have a nose cone water pick-up.

bilgeboy

Cadet

Picked up the plugs at West Marine...$5.00 each. What can you do. Pep Boys doesn't carry champion, and I got sick of driving around.

Yes, RJ, it is clearly an aftermarket job. The paint and bondo have started to come off where they faired over the old intake. I'll get around to fixing that up.

Mike

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I mean,t to ask if the intake's on that nose cone are clear.

bilgeboy

Cadet

Good thought, but they are nice and clear.

The temp issue, I think, is resolved. The new pump kit and t-stats, plus a quick high-reving trial must have blown what ever build up that might have been restricting right on out of there. The temps were great at the end of my last trip.

I drove an hour down to the boat - each way - just to put those plugs in. It was well past dark, but with a good flashlight, I could clearly see a difference in the gap. Of course, I didn't have a gapping tool with me, but the new Champs were consistenly visibly smaller gapped than the NGK's that I removed. I was impressed. I know I need to check that gap out next time, but clearly different from the factory.

Just pointing out my own obsessive illness!

Thanks guys,

Mike

bilgeboy

Cadet

Dissapointing trial.

Continued hard start. Many, many tries, smoke coming out carb cover each try. First tried no choke, then with key in, then with throttle up a bit. I think it overfuels, but I only say that because of the smoke, and when it finally goes in idle with no choke.

Once started, idled nicely, throttled up nicely, pretty heavy smoking. Once engine warmed up, I hit the trim pump ready to leave the trailer, and it quit suddenly. No restart. I did have the fuel pickup tube apart earlier in the day, but I was pretty sure I had gotten the air out.

Considering actually taking it to an evinrude mechanic!

Hmm.

Mike

Stumedic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As far as reverse lack of power goes, some controls don't have throttle in reverse. My Morse control has no provision to throttle up in reverse. PITA docking in the wind sometimes. I had the hard start problem till I opened up the gap to .040
Don't know if what I did was right, but it helped. Stu

bilgeboy

Cadet

Thanks, Stu.

I figured the reverse problem was a cable adjustment or something relatively easy.

The plugs are new, and like I mentioned, gapped noticeably smaller than the old ones, but I still haven't measured them. Maybe I can try that tomorrow. Interesting thought. Everything I have seen suggests a gap of .030".

BTW, I thought I had typed a price of 5 bucks on the plugs, but I see now above, it just reads "00". Does the computer remove dollar sign amounts or something? Thats weird.

Mike