More on Gimble Bearing Volvo SX-DP

charleswmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have just received the new version of Gimble bearing from Volvo penta for my 2001 SX-DP drive. It is quite a bit different. They have installed a rubber dampenning sleave between bearing outer race and out housing where it presses into drive. <br />The original bearing was the same physical amount<br />sticking out each side this one has the bearing protruding the housing and race on one side. Also <br />instead of having the sheet metal ring to make it a press fit it now has a outer shell like a seal.<br />Any inputs on direction it should go????<br />Also my original ujoints had outside spring clips <br />with no grease fitting and my replacement have inside slip rings???? Looks like the rubber may take care of noises so it may be a good thing.<br />HELP.<br />Charlie

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: More on Gimble Bearing Volvo SX-DP

Hello<br /> you should double check the part numbers . I think the new rubber bearing is only for the composite drive. there is some confusion on the u-joints as well. for a time you could not buy a cross and bearing from volvo. you hade to buy a shaft assy. double check for any confusion as to what drive you ordered parts for and what drive you recieved them for. the new rubber bearing requires a special pusher tool to install. Good luck and keep us posted

charleswmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: More on Gimble Bearing Volvo SX-DP

I have sent Volvo a Fax requesting tech assistance<br />The drive is actually a DP-SM s/n 4202032775 mated to a 5.7GSI s/n 4012046465 The part numbers came from the volvo manuals that i got when i ordered the drive package in 2001 At the time of order the composite drive wasn't released for sale<br />to my knowlege????? The part number I ordered was<br />3855707. The part number reced was the same on box at least. This part did not come direct from<br />dealer but drop shipped from Volvo penta direct. From a previous postig when I was Questioning the rattleing this drive experienced most people<br />I spoke to and also mechanics indicated these drive have a history of strange noises? Of course Volvo new nothing of this or maybe with this change they now have???? Still seeking assistance<br />Thanks Guys, Charlie