More of the same from the ACLU

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
ACLU go away, no one likes you! :mad: <br /><br />The Pentagon (news - web sites) has agreed to warn military bases worldwide that they should not directly sponsor Boy Scout troops, partially resolving claims that the government has improperly supported a group that requires members to believe in God. <br /><br />The settlement, announced Monday, came in a lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union (news - web sites) of Illinois, which says American military units have sponsored hundreds of Boy Scout troops. <br /><br />"If our Constitution's promise of religious liberty is to be a reality, the government should not be administering religious oaths or discriminating based on religious beliefs," said ACLU attorney Adam Schwartz. <br /><br />The Pentagon said it has long had a rule against sponsorship of non-federal organizations and denied the rule had been violated. But it agreed to send a message to posts worldwide warning them not to sponsor Boy Scout troops or other such groups. <br /><br />The rule does not prevent service members from leading Scout troops unofficially on their own time, and Scouts will still be able to hold meetings on areas of military bases where civilian organizations are allowed to hold events. <br /><br />The settlement does not resolve other ACLU claims involving government spending that benefits the Boy Scouts, such as money used to prepare a Virginia military base for the Boy Scout Jamboree and grants used by state and local governments to benefit the Boy Scouts, Schwartz said. <br /><br />Attorney Marcia Berman, who represented the Defense Department, declined to comment on the settlement Monday. But Justice Department (news - web sites) spokesman Charles Miller said the message that will be sent to bases represents "a clarification of an existing rule that DOD personnel cannot be involved in an official capacity." <br /><br />The original ACLU lawsuit named as defendants the City of Chicago, the Department of Defense (news - web sites) and the Department of Housing and Urban Development (news - web sites). The City of Chicago settled, agreeing not to engage in official sponsorship of scouting activities.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: More of the same from the ACLU

Guess they don't have anything important to raise Cain about.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I just dont think that the founding fathers thought "seperation of church and state" meant that the military cant sponsor the boy scouts.<br /><br />Also, the boy scouts do not require you to believe in god. Buddism is part of the scouts, and technically, buddists do not believe in god.<br /><br />Ken

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Don't forget the boy scouts when the United Way comes around with their hand out..... Donate directly to the scouts...

Homerr

Commander

Can't the terrorist do us a favor and bomb the ACLU or I.R.S. or something?<br /><br />Oh and PETA too... !<br /><br /><br /> :) <br /><br />H.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Kindof defeats the purpose pointer94.<br />If you designate your donation for the scouts, the united way just steers $ from the general fund, directly to the groups you don't want to support.<br /><br />Better to write out a check directly to the local scoout troop.<br /><br />Let the united way and their "causes" go whistle.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Governments can give your children condoms and allow your daughter to have an abortion without your permission, but whoa be it that the Governments assist an organization that stresses time honored traditions of character, honesty and service for a generation that is soon to lead this country.<br /><br />Pretty sick if you ask me. If we didn't have the liberal courts the ACLU would have no allies.

b20

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well done aclu.get rid of another outstanding group of people so the children have to roam the streets because they do not have anywhere else to go.is it just me, or do others here see what is happening to our once great world?a lot of the places that children and young people were once able to spend their free time are being wiped out by excessive insurance costs or 'do-gooders'(like aclu),they are left with little to do and as we all know,idle hands are the devils playground.no wonder somemany children and young adults stray from the path.i was a boy scout,many years ago and although we were require to say the honour thing about God,that was as far as it went.no requirement for pray or anything else.these aclu people really are trying to undermine society.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Roscoe,<br /><br />I agree completely, I guess my post was a little vague.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Sorry I would be Poofed if I wrote my thoughts on the ACLU.

LadyFish

Admiral

The Boy Scouts of America is one of the few <br />longstanding perfect programs for kids we have <br />going.<br /><br />Why anyone would argue the support of it is way <br />beyond me.<br /><br />IMHO, if the government wants soldiers, those who <br />are always prepared...they need kids who have <br />already gone through the process of training, <br />earning badges through achievement and self <br />dicipline. I don't know where else other than <br />military school kids get this type of experience.<br />The government should be their largest supporter.<br /><br />ACLU.....get a life.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Why then, can the military keep chaplains?<br /><br />Or are they next on the ACLU target?<br /><br />Ken

mattttt25

Commander

not a story, fellas. all the aclu got was the military to "remind" everyone of the rules. rules that have always been in place for a good reason. i can't sponsor any organization, not just the boy scouts, in an official capacity. there are a lot of things i can't do in an official capacity, which is fine. but i can support the troops and be a member if i like, and no one is stopping me.<br /><br />we allow the scouts to hold a very large jamboree here at the naval academy every year. our students put a lot of time and effort into it. and they spend a lot of money on it as well. the difference is that it's money that comes out of their m.w.r. fund (non-appropriated funds they have earned/raised). nothing wrong with this, which is why we were not named as defendants.<br /><br />now if a military base is using appropriated dollars to support the scouts (or any other organization for that matter), there is a problem, as it is illegal.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

How then can the ARMY sponsor a NASCAR team, and before every NASCAR race, a prayer is read?<br /><br />The ARMY sponsors NASCAR in hopes of getting recruits. Why cant they sponsor Boy Scouts in hopes of getting recruits?<br /><br />Ken