More Newbie Questions

AcousticTX

Cadet
I had my first launch today and all was successful. However, it has raised a few new questions. <br /><br />1. Storage:<br />Is storing a boat in a boat slip (no lift) a good idea? It seems like a nice alternative to having to trailer up every time. Pros/Cons?<br /><br />2. Pulling a tube:<br />How should the ropes for the tube be attached? I have two 1-1 1/2" eye hooks in the transom, one on each side, but they seem a bit low, might interfere with the motor. <br /><br />I was full of questions earlier, but thats all I can think of at the moment.<br /><br />Thanks in advance!<br /><br />AcousticTX

D

DJ

Re: More Newbie Questions

AcousticTX,<br /><br />If you want to slip your boat, that's fine. Just be prepared for HEAVY bottom maintenance at least once per year, not to mention the engine lower unit. If you can reasonably avoid it-DO SO.<br /><br />If you want to pull from the tow eyes on the stern, do so with a harness that has a float just at the end of the harness as it attaches to the tow rope. These give reasonable protection against prop fouling. <br /><br />Better yet, invest in a ski pylon. See: <br /><br />www.overtons.com

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

AcousticTX:<br />You don't mention type of power set-up (outboard, I/O), but djohns gives good advice on the float and harness, particularly if you have an outboard. For tubing: 60 foot line, skiing 75 feet (including the five feet of handle line). A sectioned mainline can be shortened/lengthened as needed, and is a good choice ($35 is plenty to spend for a 3, 4 or 5 section line). Pylons are great in the right boat, but at $150 -$250, and a potentially tough install, I would not recommend unless you're a die-hard skier and plan on having your boat for a fair amount of time.<br /><br />Regarding slip/trailering....from my perspective this mostly depends on amount of use and cost. Up here the season is rather short so slips with good saltwater access may be $100+ per foot, per season. In other fresh water areas, access is restricted to those with moorings or slips. A mooring is an intermediate option, if available to you. Yes.....there are maintenance issues in fresh and salt water, particularly in warmer climates, but the maintenance time is less than the cummulative launch/pull time. Which ever you decide, have fun at it. Since you're new to it, try out a few things, look around at what others are doing, seek some more advice (ther will be plenty for free) and don't sink the "big bucks" into it until you're sure you like it. Good luck

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If you store in a slip make sure you have a good bilge pump and a strong battery and make sure that you check on it regularly.